Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Naples, Italy - part 1

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

When we booked this cruise, it was noted that our destination after Rome would be Sorrento (and to be there overnight). However, having read many posts on Cruise Critic forums, we learned that rarely happens. Evidently, the weather can be a significant factor in Sorrento. No pier, the ship would have to drop anchor in the bay. If the wind is blowing too much, then all is big time problem.

After we left Spain, there was a note in our cabin that we would initially stop in Naples, where this is a pier and make a decision once the ship was there whether to stay in Naples or move to the original port of Sorrento.

Naples is only 141 miles from Rome. So leaving at 7:00 p.m. allowed plenty of time to get to Naples by our scheduled 8:00 a.m. arrival. We entered the bay early, this photo is of Naples just about dawn. We were probably moving at less than 3 knots at the time. There are some ports where the stevedores control things and they might not begin work until 7:00 or so. The earliest we could arrive and be tied to the pier would be about 8:00.

Comments (8)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Castel dell'Ovo or Egg Castle in the Gulf of Naples. This structure dates from the 13th century. There were several other structures long before this one.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:
    The castle's name comes from a legend about the Roman poet Virgil, who had a reputation in medieval times as a great sorcerer. In the legend, Virgil put a magical egg into the foundations to support the fortifications. Had this egg been broken, the castle would have been destroyed and a series of disastrous events would have involved the city of Naples.

OK - whatever. I did not know this until we returned and I had time to research stuff.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The lighthouse in the harbor in Naples Italy. And, the statue of San Gennaro, the patron saint of Naples.

San Gennaro's feast day is September 19. And, evidently there is a BIG party in Naples then.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is brighter and easier to see the city of Naples. Population is close to 1 million.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My research has shown that there are more than 15 schedule ferries leaving Naples.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a large, new ferry that goes between Naples and Barcelona. That is more than just a few hours like most other ports in Italy that ferries go to. This ship carries 2300 passengers and 215 cars. The ship we were on, Holland America's Maasdam, carried only 1200 passengers (no cars, but probably a bigger crew).

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are finally getting secure to the pier. I am up on deck taking all kinds of photos. I figure that I'll be able to determine what is what when we return home.

This was one of those photos. This the rear of Castel Nuovo, which was begun in 1279. Since we had not planned on being in Naples, we did not have an opportunity to get to this castle. It would have been a great experience, I am sure.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another interesting photo taken from the open deck of our cruise ship.

Sant Elmo Castle and St. Martin's Charterhouse. Again, I had to look these up when we returned. Google Earth is great for helping me determine all the where is this kind of stuff.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it is getting close to the time to disembark. We officially arrived at 8:00 and we are scheduled to meet our tour guide on the pier at 8:15. I have been taking pictures and not getting ready. Not knowing what might in store, a big breakfast is appropriate.

I did notice this as I left the open deck. Naples is not an industrial port (as some ports are where cruise ships dock). The Italian navy has a significant presence.

Time to get going. This will be a long day. Lots to relate to you.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz
More Discussions