Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's 101 degrees and the seeds are popping.

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 20:54

I've planted some mini pumpkin and mini gourd seeds in my 4'x3' raised garden bed. I planted half of the seeds on June first, and a cold front moved in and only 4 out 15 seeds germinated. I planted the rest of the seeds on June 15th, and we're having a heat wave and not only have the new seeds germinated, but some of the old seeds have also germinated. So, at this time I have 17 seedlings. I'm not known to thin anything out so I think I'll have very busy 4x3 bed.
Any suggestions in how to "tame" the vines, without pulling them out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's 101 degrees and the seeds are popping.

The only thing I can think of is trellises and letting the vines run out in the surrounding area.
I am glad that I found a kindred soul who also can't get herself to kill perfectly good plants.

o

A-frames, especially if about 6' tall. Large pumpkins can be supported in a hammock made of an old T-shirt with the shirt ends fastened to a crossbeam; small pumpkins do fine in a hammock made from old pantyhose; tiny pumpkins don't need support. Check out yard sales for *cheap* stepladders; they make excellent A-frames and can be folded to put away at the end of the season. Wind the vines up and over the frame, exceptionally long vines may need to be spiralled around the frame (6-foot ladder gives you 6'+6' of vertical space, one spiral around provides about another 4 to 6'). The area under the A-frame does nicely for a shade bed for lettuces, etc. Don't forget to surround the baby pumpkin plants with radishes to deter squash borers.

o

Thanks for the good ideas. This is the first summer plantings I've done in the 4x3 box, so everything is an experiment.
anneliese, I had not thought about the trellis idea. I have a couple of small ones sitting around, so I think I'll go with that this summer.
meldy, I like your idea of an a-frame trellis. I found some sites on the web that explained how to make them and I sent the sites to DH as a "hint" for future trellies.

Good grief and sigh "squash borers". Ok, I'll plant some radishes.

o

DH got a great idea. He will make an A-Frame trellis out of our old metal trellises. Thanks for your suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here