Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm growing Shallots for the first time...

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 20:58

And I should say that I don't know what I'm doing, except to say that they are growing and I've tasted a couple and they are very good.
I bought a six pack and planted each bunch in a separate space. They are growing uneven and some of the shallots seem to crawl out of the soil and sit on top. Is that "normal"?
I've posted a couple of pics of the shallots on my page.
BTW, I'm using a free page that allows uploading photos, I'm not getting paid for anything.

I bought a six pack of "Bunching Onions" today, a first for me. According to the info on the net, they are asian scallions and they are pernnials. One lady on the net said that hers is growing after nine years. It's fun to experiment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Shallots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm growing Shallots for the first time...

Your shallots look fine West gardener. They are a 'regular' in my veggie garden, along with onions and leeks because they are such wonderful winter keepers and pretty much stay edible from harvest in fall to planting the next spring.

o

That's reasuring that they look fine. Although I've read about and seen photos of shallots on the net, it is difficult to figure out what sequence they are in at any given time. When the green started falling over, I thought oh no, they are sick. It is a normal thing. When they started popping up from the soil, I thought: "what now"?.
Lol.

o

I've never grown them but friends have. That gives me something to add to my "to do" list. I did plant potatoes this year for the first time in years. That package of seed potatoes just hopped off the shelf into my shopping cart!

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 13, 11 at 9:19

My first is an artichoke. I grew one once a long time ago in Southern California, the chokes were small and wsent to bloom, they are quite beautiful, I I think chokes toeat or pretty boom, can't lose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here