Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

Girls????

agnespuffin
11 years ago

As I've mention before, my home town caters to a lot of tourists. The Girls Scouts got started here, and that's what I think about when the topic asks about activities for GIRLS.

And then, reading on, it's for a group of women in the middle age bracket. 40s & 50s

So, Girls, how old will you be when you stop calling yourself a girl?

Comments (5)

• calliope
    11 years ago

When I was old enough to legally marry, I started using the term gals, ladies, women. I'm not militant about whatever any group of people wish to call themselves anymore. I was a little touchy back in those days I was a young woman and always working a traditionally male occupation when a person in authority, usually a man, would refer to me or especially a woman of a certain age as 'you girls'. It had the connotation of giddyness and immaturity, or the naivete of youth. Times have changed and the young women of today don't have to look so hard at possible hidden meanings.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

My mom is on vacation with the "girls" and they're celebrating their 70th this year. Age was my biggest obstacle when I began working as a manager. I was quite a bit younger than my employees. So I didn't/don't think of myself as young. Probably not a good thing, since we are what our state of mind is. I don't manage any more--thank goodness--just one other worker and I work for him. I can regress! I may begin calling myself one of the girls. Seems to be working for the beauties my mom hangs with, including mommy!

• lindac
    11 years ago

Depends on the circumstances...my friends and I have a "girl's night out"...but we belong to a "ladies luncheon group".
    I went to a women's college....and heaven help anyone who called it a "girl's school"!!!!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

" how old will you be when you stop calling yourself a girl?"
    No matter how old I'll get I know there is a girl in me somewhere.
    But I quit calling myself a "girl" when I was on my own at age 15. At that time I did not mention age or gender because I needed to work.I made sure I had the proper paperwork to go to work.
    Later when life got easier, I had girl friends, then we began calling each other "The Ladies".
    Then came the woman's revolution and the operating word was "woman". The woman's group, the woman's health center, the woman's center at the college etc...
    At this point, we still call ourselves, the ladies.
    But, one of the terms we (ladies) use, is "hen party".That'
    s where we let it all hang out.

• trolldood
    11 years ago

girls are awesome. they make sandwiches and wear makeup.

Sponsored
More Discussions