Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Valencia, Spain - part 1

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:08

Allow me to state at the beginning - I learned quickly to love Valencia. I would go back there now! It is fantastic. Okay, enough of that.

Valencia has a population of 800,000, making it the third largest city in Spain (Madrid and Barcelona are one and two). The city has many old buildings, but the new ones are just as impressive. You will see both in a short time there.

It was originally a Roman Colony, but it has a long and varied history as to how it became what it is today. The climate is mild, never below freezing and less than 50 days of precipitation per year.

This is a view of the skyline as we make our approach in mid-morning on Monday, November 11.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Valencia, Spain - part 1

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:13

Valencia is the busiest port on the Mediterranean with contain shipping. For many years, shipping was the biggest revenue maker in the city; however, since the 1990s, tourism has moved into a spot to generate as many Euros.

In almost every port we were at in Spain, the topic of unemployment was brought up. Comments were never positive. Most of the college graduates were moving to Germany due to their better position for employment. That leaves those with less education and a higher unemployment rate.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:15

Ford Motor Company has a large plant near Valencia and there were several auto transports loading vehicles to be shipped throughout Europe.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:18

Other cruise ships were in port the same day. This is P & O Cruise Line's Oriana, with a passenger capacity of 1800.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:22

Also in port was Oceania's ship Marina. Less then 2 years old, it has 80% of the cabins with balconies. It carries about 1250 passengers, similar in size to our ship ms Maasdam.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:24

Away from the port area are many resorts (south of the city) with expansive beaches.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:26

There is a lot of construction in the city of Valencia. Here is an apartment building with views for all.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 21:29

A teaser for the next posting about Valencia. This is a view of some of the modern structures that are close to our pier. You'll see much more of this next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here