Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

How's the weather and how does your garden grow? Long.........

west_gardener
10 years ago

My weather has been between mild and hot. Sunny and Foggy, pretty close to normal for this time a year.
Some of my plantings are doing well, others are not.
The one tomato plant seems to have a "wilt" issue. I don't know how that will turn out. The sweet peas are blooming, very pretty, but the plants themselves are short of the 5'-6' tall described on the seed packet.
All the herbs are doing well, except the dill. Hmmm.
This is my first time planting Red Onions, and they are supposed to be ready on June 18th, they don't look like the "4-5" orbs pictured on the net, but I pulled one, and it tasted great.
Naval orange and Lemon trees look good.
The weeds are growing like weeds.
How about your weather and garden, or stuff in general?

Comments (3)

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

I am a bit behind you in the garden department, though the tomatoes look wonderful and have grown a bit already, I have 4 Big Red heirloom tomatoes, 2 paste ones and a cherry. Hope I can keep them all well, we have to think about water, that definitely keep one from going overboard.
    Today I will plant 2 cucumbers, a slicing one and a lemon one. Squash ig germinating.
    I have flowers in containers, looking very nice, and there will be some petunias and marigold in the ground to fill out the garden.
    It's been seasonal on the warmish side, Friday they have "promised" a triple digit (102) and I'm sure there will be more of them.
    Next the weekend is the Harley Redwood run, busy highway and the Rodeo, feel sorry for the cowboys and the animals in that heat.

• pkramer60
    10 years ago

Chicago weather has been odd. We went from spring cool to summer heat-90's-back to November cold and way too much rain. That said, the roses are starting to bloom and most of the veggies are doing ok. The only issue were my bean seeds. Planted green stringless, wax and flat Italian and not a one sprouted. So I have re-seeded and we shall see. Red and white cabbages, chard, peppers, 18 various toms are all doing good. Herbs are ok but the basil is not a happy camper in the cool. And neither am I. My bones want warm and sunny.

• gmatx zone 6
    10 years ago

Daily weather has been strange - somewhat mild winter, lots of wind, then hot February and March with more wind and a couple of hard freezes in late April. That double whammy hurt the majority of the fruit trees and a large number of shade trees. The trees looks so strange as they struggle to rebud and leaf out.

We are continuing in a severe drought so everything except the weeds are almost nonexistent. There are so many trees, some 50 years and older, that have not survived. It's sad for trees to die off, especially ones of that age and size. We can't just stick them in the ground and they grow as they do in many areas, we have to baby them for several years to get them established.

I did have DH plow up the garden area. I have tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse that need to be planted, but I'm not sure that things will do much at all, even with extensive watering - darn it. Probably should have just started greenhouse varieties, but that's no fun.

The Sweet Autumn Clematis and the Malva Zebrina are the only two plants that are doing well outside.

But - and yes I am going to shout - WE HAVE SOME CHANCE OF SHOWERS FOR THE NEXT 7 DAYS! Send your good thoughts and prayers this way, please.

Everyone can post pictures of yards and anything else that is growing nicely and I will live vicariously through them...LOL.

While I may complain about the drought, my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Oklahoma. It is almost beyond comprehension that deadly storms hit the same area two days in a row and then hit on another day just a few miles from them. Unexplainable.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions