Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

My Last Harvest Gold

west_gardener
12 years ago

In the past we've had discussions about appliances, what kind, color, experiences etc. Back in the early seventies,we bought several new appliances, and they were all the color of Harvest Gold. Little by little we have replaced all of them, except the washing machine.

Now, I'm looking to replace my trusted washing machine. It's more than 30 yo,and it has been a real work horse. It has been through a family of five, more towels, sheets and jeans etc. that I can count. But the washer is sounding like it might be time to think of a replacement.

It is kind of sentimental to think of a machine as part of the family, but that's the way it is, and it is time to move on.

I'm looking at some front loaders. Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Harvest Gold washer

Comments (7)

• calliope
    12 years ago

OMgosh........go over to the laundry forum and browse, you'll find out more about modern machines than you want to know. It was enough to scare me into backtracking half a century and getting one of these. That was two years ago and I still have no regrets. {{gwi:139637}}

My dh did the laundry for us a few weeks ago when I was sick in a front loader and came home and asked me why the knees to our gardening jeans didn't come clean. My machine is named Ruby, and I got her brand newie. It was shipped half way around the world to get here, so wasn't any cheaper than a decent front loader, but she slaps the clothes silly and they don't dare come out dirty. LOL.

• lilod
    12 years ago

Joann was given a front-loader when her washer died and she says that she would choose a top-loader to replace it, she is not really happy with the front-loading machine.

• frogged
    12 years ago

I bought a Viking front loader at an auction sale it sold originally from Eatons and was likely 30 years plus. It still works great - HEAVY though. Still in my basement cause I ain't moving that sucker again. I replaced it with a larger capacity whirlpool front loader and it works well for me. Calliope your machine reminds me of my first the washer I had. It was my grandmothers. It had the wash tub and the spinner side by side. When the close were in the washer half they also were swished and sloshed around like crazy, then when in the spinner it sounded like an airplane taking off. Got the clothes clean though and that's what counts :)

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I've started looking before I need a new machine.
    calliope, thanks for recommending another forum, I found the Appliances Forum and now I'm looking for the laundry forum. I have work to do.
    A knitting friend told me that the front loaders do not do "felting". That's when you knit a project from pure wool, put in the washer with some detergent and let it run until it is the size you want.
    I'll take that into consideration when I choose a new washer. I know, I know, it may not make sense to most people.

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

I think what kind of washer one wants depends largely on what kind of clothing one finds oneself washing. Much of my laundry is "hand wash" and "delicate cycle only." I love my front loader (12 years old now) for its lack of an agitator. I'm happy to do a little hand scrubbing on exceptionally soiled stuff if it means my wardrobe enjoys an extended life span. One size does not fit all, and you should take your wardrobe into account when you decide what works for you...

• calliope
    12 years ago

Good advice.....our wardrobe is mostly heavily soiled cottons and denims. I adored the front loader my kids had in England and wanted one just like it, and set the money aside, but couldn't find the equivalent here. I used to work in the engineering labs of a major appliance manufacturer and soon developed an appreciation for the simpler machines because if made decently, there wasn't much to go wrong with them.

I saw too many examples on the laundry forum of folks having to double rinse their clothing, circumvent the programming on the machine computers, and was flabberghasted at a load taking nearly two hours to wash. I can wash the filthiest loads I have in fifteen minutes and have it done with. I have to interact with my machine, but I'm cool with that.

• posieh
    12 years ago

White is always in style. A friend has a stainless stel and she hates it. Always needs to be polished. Another friend has a front loader and she is unhappy with it. Manufacturer's are always coming up with something new to keep us buying! Give me a good old white Maytag!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions