Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Great-granddaughter is to blame

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 22:24

We haven't bought or used sweetened carbonated drinks in at least 30 years. But, g grandkid stayed with us a couple of days and nights. She re-interdused us to root beer floats. I'd forgotten how good they tasted on a hot summer day. She was particular in that it had to be "Dad's" root beer and Breyer vanilla ice cream. I confess that we've bought several large bottles of root beer since she went home. We aren't wedded to her favorite brands but we are sure enjoying a almost forgotten pleasure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Great-granddaughter is to blame

If I were a mean type of person, I would tell you how good Breyers Vanilla and Sprite are. Which reminds me, I think I need one now.

o

That sounds refreshingly delicious!

o

Great minds think alike. When I did the marketing, I bought three two-litre bottles of root beer, orange pop and RC with floats in mind. Creme soda is also a good float base. Never thought of sprite, but it's worth a try!

o

Henry Weinhard's Orange Cream Soda almost taste like an ice cream float by itself. Another that I like is Vernor's Ginger Ale but have not yet made a float with it. Think it might go well with Trader Joe's french vanilla ice cream.

o

I've never had a float, but I'm game. What goes first? the ice cream or the pop?

o

Fill a glass with ice cream. Don't pack it, just dump. Pour the pop in....slowly...until the glass is full. Stick in a straw and a long handled spoon. Poke, stir, sip and gulp as you please.

I am sure there are other ways, but this is the way we do it.

o

We called them Black Cows when I was growing up in Chicago.
They have bagsof cups of vanilla ice cream in the freezer section. nice to have on hand just pop one or two in a mug and then the root beer !!!!

o

I grew up with "horse's manes" or "horse's neck" (depending on who was fixing). Half a tall tumbler of cold ginger ale and scoops of vanilla ice cream dumped in. I don't remember straws but I do remember long-handled spoons, and kids who wouldn't slowly spoon up the concoction had foam from nose to chin. A major treat (store-boughten' ingredients), we always had some on mum's birthday in August.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here