Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmatx_gw

Mother's Birthday

gmatx zone 6
9 years ago

Today my Mother would have been 110. She has been gone 20 years but it doesn't seem as though it has been that long. I still catch myself looking for a recipe or having a question about something and thinking "I'll call Mother". I miss her tremendously, but I am so thankful for having her around as long as I did.

She was nearly as good as George at telling stories about her childhood and growing up with 1 sister and 5 brothers on the farm. She was the oldest, so of course she took care of her siblings while Grandmother and Granddad worked the fields. One of the things she mentioned was having biscuits with butter and a slice of sweet onion for their lunch. When I was young, I thought that sounded terrible, but later on I decided to try it and found out that it wasn't all that bad especially if the onion was really sweet.

She and Daddy homesteaded some land in New Mexico early in their marriage. One day she was out riding and saw a baby antelope alone and decided to get off her horse and get it. Well, mama antelope decided that wasn't a good idea and came charging at Mother. She said if it hadn't been for Blue, their Russian Wolfhound that was with her, that antelope would probably have torn her up with its hooves. Needless to say, she didn't try that again. Then there was the time that a young bear was slapping her Coleman cooler around up in Colorado where she and her brother and wife were camping. Yep, she grabbed a broom out of the camper and chased the little bear down the mountain a ways. She was in her 70s then. Guess I know where I inherited my love of animals from as well as my sometimes reckless adventures when I was younger!

Mary

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions