Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to save Water in Gardening

Posted by shah_gardener (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 23:39

Plants use 10-15 % of water, the rest goes as seepage. Keeping in view of shortage of Water.

Here is what I do.

Take a pet Bottle, make a small hole in the Cap, and a larger hole in the Bottom, fill with Water,
and press the Head in soil at 45 degree angle, it will start drip action, keeping the soil moist round the clock. It will take a week or more to consume. This can be done in Flower Pots ad in Flower Beds. In flower beds keep a distance of a yard apart.

I had done this when I left for a week for upcountry. My plants were all fresh on my return

Baqar Shah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to save Water in Gardening

Sounds like a good idea but what is a pet bottle?

o

I don't know what a pet bottle is either, but I'm thinking that it's a good idea and any kind of plastic soft drink bottle or water bottle might work.

I think the main problem would be to make the small hole the right size.

Down here, water would get very hot during a sunny day. I wonder if this would damage the plant as they seem to do better if the root system is cooler than the top.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 3:27

Me, I use 5 liter plastic water bottles, punch holes in the wide area around the neck, upturn them and cut the 2-3 in. bottom (now the top) off, but not completely, so the "lid" can be opened and closed, usually held closed with a rock. I bury the bottle neck down about halfway or less, and fill it with water from hose or bucket. The plants are planted in a circle around each bottle. The water seeps through the holes directly to the roots - no evaporation, no waste.

Now that the full Middle East summer is gearing up, I have been filling these bottles - meaning I have been watering my garden - only once a week! As it gets really hot through to the end of august, I'll up that, but I can guarantee that I'll water less, waste less and pay less for water.
I have a bucket in the shower, which every day goes on another part of the upper container garden. For the lower veggie/herb/flower gardens, which all have the buried bottles, I'll be collecting the water that drips from the air conditioners and using that to fill the bottles.
With all of this, I barely open the hose, barely pay for city water, and so far the garden is happy.
I based all of this loosely on "buried clay pot" irrigation. I use one clay unglazed pot and it works just as well as the bottles. The tomatoes are so big now I have to push them aside to get to the bottle and they can barely be seen.
Want pics?
Peace

o

Yes, Batya, please send some pics! This is so interesting!
I always save leftover Coke and mix it in with water in the watering can
for an extra sugsr shot for the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here