Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A summer photo op

Posted by calliope 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 0:11

You've heard the expression to bloom where you are planted. Well this sunflower took it literally, tucked into a furrow of an old black locust tree I see from my kitchen window.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A summer photo op

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 1:03

Cool! Survivors! As everyone probably knows, July 2010 I broke my femur and all gardening came pretty much to a screeching halt, minimal to no watering, no deadheading or other clean-up into winter, heavy winter- and spring rains, now I am able to do something to rehab the garden, it
is interesting who the survivors are, once the tall grasses were pretty much cleaned up.
Buddleia, coreopsis, gaura, the rudbeckia sprouted from seeds, so did evening primrose, cistus apparently needs no human hand, David Austin roses did fine, and they had not been watered much the previous (drought) year. Daylilies bloomed sparsely, but looked good, Yarrow is going nuts, so there really is sort of an ungroomed garden around, makes me happy.
All I am doing right now is see that the worst weeds are discouraged and I water and water. Too hot and sunny for much more than that.
I am happy that I have some sort of ungroomed wild garden left anyway

o

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. Good ol' Helianthus, making me smile this morning.

:)

o

I have seen trees shrubs and annuals growing in other trees but usually in a crotch that has collected leaves and dirt making a good growing environment. Occasionally seeds that birds or squirrels have hidden in thick barked trees will germinate and grow as yours did. Fun oddity to have a flowering plant in such circumstances.

o

Don, the same tree also sports a red raspberry bush primocane. The locust next to it has a blooming yellow mum growing from the bark. The tree in which this plant is growing has also been the home of brown creepers over the years, and that says something for thick, protective bark plates.

o
Interesting point

I wondered about that. I have changed computers several times and am on a new one now and just now tweeking the pop up blockers, browsers and security. I noticed a banner yesterday here on the GW on how to get an American visa and I'm not talking about the charge card. The night before I had been listening to musica nortena and ranchero, my fav genres.....and wondered if a cookie hadn't picked up on that to feed me an advertisement I might be interested in. Does one pick up advertisement based on their web searches?

o
What the heck?

Whoops, I'd responded on the thread about spamming, how did that get linked to this thread. Gremlins?

o

Last summer I had some snapdragons growing in the bolt hole inside the storm drain where the gutter grate attaches to the curb underneath my mailbox. Flowers were reaching up from inside the gutter to bloom. It was odd, and it amused me all summer. This makes me smile as broadly. :o)

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 18:42

That's a neat picture. There seems to be a narrow opening behind the flower; wonder if a squirrel or bird dropped a sunflower seed in there and it sprouted?

I hate to keep pulling the sunflower seedlings which the birds drop, but they always grow in inappropriate places.

Lilo, your garden sounds colorful, maybe not tended as you would like, but still blooming. On the side of my front walkway there are portulaca blooming their little hearts out,--and I planted nary a one. They evidently reseeded themselves from some plants of two years ago. Now, that's my kind of flower. :>)

o

Cool photo. The plant is a Survivor. Your pic makes me smile. Thanks for posting.

o

I love your picture.Nature is wonderful.

o

That's a great picture and how nice for the sunflower that it was seen and appreciated.I always get a good feeling when I see volunteers here and there. We have never ever grown squash,don't like it,but a few years ago one of them sprouted in my window box along with all the flowers. I just left it alone and the leaves were a nice contrast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here