Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quotes 7 -12 -13

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 0:33

We are motivated by a keen desire for praise, and the better a man is the more he is inspired by glory. The very philosophers themselves, even in those books which they write in contempt of glory, inscribe their names.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Fame is the inheritance not of the dead, but of the living. It is we who look back with lofty pride to the great names of antiquity.
William Hazlitt

Every human being has hundreds of separate people living under his skin. The talent of a writer is his ability to give them their separate names, identities, personalities and have them relate to other characters living with him.
Mel Brooks

The Eskimos had fifty-two names for snow because it was important to them: there ought to be as many for love.
Margaret Atwood

All that remains is the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters.
Gordon Lightfoot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quotes 7 -12 -13

Interesting quotes, I particularly like the last two

o
RE: quotes 7 -12 -13

Very interesting quotes.
I especially like the Margaret Atwood quote.
I'm from Norway and although we have one word for snow, we describe the snow in detail, because it is important in how to navigate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here