Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote August 31

Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 0:37

"People say, 'I'm going to sleep now,' as if it were nothing. But it's really a bizarre activity. 'For the next several hours, while the sun is gone, I'm going to become unconscious, temporarily losing command over everything I know and understand. When the sun returns, I will resume my life.'

If you didn't know what sleep was, and you had only seen it in a science fiction movie, you would think it was weird and tell all your friends about the movie you'd seen.

They had these people, you know? And they would walk around all day and be OK? And then, once a day, usually after dark, they would lie down on these special platforms and become unconscious. They would stop functioning almost completely, except deep in their minds they would have adventures and experiences that were completely impossible in real life. As they lay there, completely vulnerable to their enemies, their only movements were to occasionally shift from one position to another; or, if one of the 'mind adventures' got too real, they would sit up and scream and be glad they weren't unconscious anymore. Then they would drink a lot of coffee.'

So, next time you see someone sleeping, make believe you're in a science fiction movie. And whisper, 'The creature is regenerating itself."

� George Carlin (Brain Droppings)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote August 31

I enjoyed reading this,Lilo. Once in a great while we'll be coming home from somewhere or other late at night and I think about all the dark houses along the roads with everyone being horizontal. I know it's weird but sounds like I'm in good company. George Carlin never failed to make me laugh.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 14:00

This is a *new* way for me to think about sleeping, but it makes sense in a bizarre way. Sleep is a time of refreshment for the body and perhaps the phrase "the creature is regenerating itself" isn't too strange.

Hey, Lilo, you're a month ahead of yourself! :>)

o

As little kid I always had a bedroom to myself and of course the grown-ups in the house got up before I did and went to bed after me. I remember when for the first time I saw my grandmother asleep and could not figure out what happened to her. Must have been around two - three years old, since she died shortly after my third birthday and I was two when my grandparents moved in with us.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 16:12

Mwheel - no, not ahead, I am on schedule, but I have another gig end of August, guess I am a glutton for punishment LOL

o

George Carlin......I miss him. Never heard this one....thanks, Lilo.

o

I sure enjoy George Carlin's term: (Brain Droppings)He was right on in a fun way.

o

I don't remember reading that. Interesting idea.

o

Duh, McWheel is right, this is a quote for next month hahaha
Don't know if I am coming or going....

o

That's a good one -- food for thought and also funny.

o

The waking dream and the dreams of the ether, renewal and introspection. We are discovering the spaces between the solids have a different substance and texture. As the Moody Blues so aptly pointed out "What is real and what is the illusion?" Humor is a subtle delivery and Carlin was a master.

o

I have such strong, vivid, active dreams that sometimes when I wake up I'm more tired from all the activity in my dreams than I get during my somewhat forced sedentary awake time. Interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here