Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you ready to see my greatgrandmother's redone quilt?

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 9:05

Remember when I asked for help? I set it aside and decided I would work on that project later. Later, our very dear family friend came to Nashville and wanted to see the pieces. I told her I didn't have it, but I could show her later. Instead, she asked me to mail it to her. She made three quilts. She used as much of the material as possible. Each square she made has four smaller squares of Mamaw's quilt and it's bound with her additions. I call them picture frames of love. :) The white fabric with black and red corners.

She sent Mommy the "big" one for her birthday, on Friday. It's called Jennie's Crayon Box. My greatgrandmother was Jennie Belle Hite Neese. And the person who worked on it was Jenny (our friend). My quilt, smaller at about 3 1/2 by 5 1/2 feet is known as the Midwife quilt because I "gave birth" to the idea. I never save anything for something special, but this one will not get used. Ever. It's getting hung. I couldn't decide where, but as I carried into my bedroom, I realized what a pefect headboard it'd make over my bed. I've been missing a headboard since Ed took it October 2008. My sister gets the last one, but we haven't seen it or know its name. I can't wait to see mom's and sis's. Here's mine:

The link below is what it looked like before

Here is a link that might be useful: before pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you ready to see my greatgrandmother's redone quilt?

Rob this is very, very special and your friend is also very special for making it possible. As a headboard is a wonderful idea and I'm happy for you. Enjoy, and I know your g'ma is smiling right now.

o

This is lovely. What a good friend you have. I love the headboard idea.

o

My daughter took My Mom;s last quilt,resized it slightly and now it makes a beautiful wall hanging in her Civil War era home in Maryland. Steve in Stevens County.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 15:33

Rob, what a treasure! And how dear of your friend to make, not only one, but three quilts. This is a gift to be cherished. I've very happy for you.

o

Absolutely wonderful how you managed to bring it all together. Your quilt is a piece of history and new piece of art.

o

It's so wonderful you were able to recycle the fabrics from the old quilts.Your friend did an amazing job.Won't you sleep peacefully with that quilt above your head?

o

Absolutely a treasure !!!

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 8:24

Poking through my fave used book store in Haifa, I found "Old Patchwork Quilts and the Women Who Made Them" by Ruth Finley. It was a fascinating read and a real treasure of a book; part Americana, part feminist history, part high art. Me, I don't quilt (knit, yes) but I am forever keeping old this and that, pieces of clothes, fabric and whatnot. Who knows. What you've got there, Rob, is a treasure and a wonder. Thank heaven for all the folks out there who keep these arts alive!
Peace

o

Batya,

I am reading a book called The Aloha Quilt. I am not certain how authentic it is in her examinaion of how Hawai'ian quilts are made. The core story is about a woman who is divorcing and goes to to Hawai'i to help her friend set up a bed and breakfast that is also a quilting camp. In telling the story, she also tells how quilt making became so different there, why the colors are so different, why they choose the symbols they choose, and how the symbol is used can change meaning of the quilt, depending on how it's used. Total fiction, except maybe the quilting part. That part is interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hawai'ian quilts

o

Wow - I can't even imagine all the time and love that went into putting those together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here