Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happened here?

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 9:58

The other day we saw a sparrow hawk sitting on the fence in back. Within hours, 3 2-week old robins disappeared from the nest outside the kitchen window! OK. I can accept that.

However, these feathers indicate a larger bird that got taken out. This was taken on Wednesday afternoon, still entrails in the mix of feathers. Lots of mourning doves, good to get rid of one of them. It could have been a red tailed hawk, as I have seen them around here, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happened here?

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 10:05

This is what it looked like on Thursday afternoon. What took away all of those large feathers and many of the downy feathers. The entrails were disposed of my flies and ants. Would they do feathers, too? The missus thinks other birds took them to 'feather their nest', but most birds are done with that for the summer.

Any ideas?

o

I don't know the particulars, but it looks like you have great clean up crews in your yard.

o

Definitively dove feaathers and it was most likely the Redtailed Hawk. My backyard is Dove Central and once or twice a week I see the same picture. All it needs is a good windgust and the feathers are in the bushes or in my neighbors yard. Usually the small, fuzzy feathers get hung up in the grass and stay.

o

I saw this once in my backyard.

I'd walked through that part of the lawn an hour earlier, was gardening no more than 30-40' away, and missed the whole incident. Then, headed back to the house, without warning I found myself looking down on an explosion of gray feathers.

Nothing else was left, but sudden violence could be the only explanation.

I'm not sure there are any doves left at this point....

o

• Posted by Skie_M Zone 7 (Southwestern (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 21:51

Birds are not the only critters who like to line their nests with something soft and warm .... squirrels and mice are quite quick to snatch up such a bounty of free insulating materials ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here