Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Palermo, Sicily - part 4

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:33

Palermo Cathedral was erected in 1185 by the minister of William II (the person responsible for the Monreale Cathedral). It was built on the remains of a Byzantine basilica that was converted into a mosque in the 9th century. There are several styles of architecture due to additions and restorations with the last of those ending in 1801. There was some damage during an air assault in 1943, but that has been repaired.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Palermo, Sicily - part 4

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:34

A view of the bell tower, which dates from the 14th century.

o

Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:36

A closer view of the bell tower from a different angle. I had never seen wind vanes like this on a church.

o

Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:38

This float is used in parades for special occasions. That information was according to our guide, however he did not know who would be on the float. It is stored on the piazza next to the cathedral.

The building at the rear is the cathedral's museum. We did not enter.

o

Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:39

This is a view of the rear of the float.

o

Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:42

There is a large plaza next to the cathedral and this small garden area was about the only things growing there. You can see the float in the background.

o

Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:44

This is the bronze door at the west end of the cathedral. As I attempted to discover more information online about this entrance, I was repeatedly referred to the doors at the Monreale Cathedral. Currently, this entrance is not used.

o

Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:47

On the piazza that is adjacent to the cathedral, there is a high school Liceo Classico Vittorio Emanuele II. Established in 1549, it is the oldest in Sicily.

o

Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 10:48

It was mid-day and many of the students were on the piazza. Typical high school students.

Part 5 of our Palermo visit will include the inside of the cathedral.

o

The cathedral is interesting. I have never seen a church with such a mix of styles. I am trying to figure out what part belongs to what century.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here