Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The meaning of life

Posted by mrobbins 6b - Brooklyn (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 11:32

I'd like to share this article with you. I don't know the man, but my mother, grandfather, and mother's cousin died from Lou Gehrig's disease, so it hits close to home. It's also the story of someone who fought through addiction and societal disapproval and found the central nugget of himself that really mattered. I hope you get something out of reading it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Good Short Life

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The meaning of life

• Posted by gmatx z6 TX Panhandle (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 12:21

Thanks mrobbins. His article really makes you think of living life "one day at a time". We all should look at life in that manner, shouldn't we. I think I will work harder at doing that.

o

Thank M. Well written article. I have a friend who died of ALS and I think it is the most invasive and controlling disease of all of them. I cannot believe you have had so many close to you who had to experience it.

If anyone knows how to live one day at a time and appreciate where you are, it's you. YOu're a great role model.

o

Thank you, MRobbins, for sharing a wonderfully written piece.
Your contributions to this space are always special.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 13:32

A wonderful piece written by an articulate, aware author who has his priorities in place.
I have been blessed with a long life in good health, still able to do what I choose to do and hope that when the time comes, the Angel of Death will take me by the hand and say
"Lilo, it's time to go" and I just go without fuss.

o

We just came back last night from the funeral of a good friendof my husband who suffered the last 2 years in a nursing home, either aware and in constant pain or on morphin and not aware of anything, on drips, oxygen, feeding tube, catheder. There should be a better way. Yes, he had a living will but since the family said otherwise, he had to suffer.

Thanks for the article, he is a remarkable person.

o

Thank you for the article, a solid realization of life and the ending that is part of life.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 13:48

Thank you for the link to this meaningful article. I hope and pray that if ever in a similar situation, I will have the courage and know-how of this gentleman.

o
I've missed sharing things with you folk

Your responses are always so thoughtful.

o

I went to the last page to see how far back the posts go and found this. They do not go back tp 2008 so how Marda's post was brought up is a mystery. But this would be her attitude.

o

Thanks Don for bringing it back up and thanks mrobbins for having it posted at that time. I printed it out and pinned it on my corkboard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here