Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Cartagena, Spain - part 8

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:03

The Cartagena city hall was begun in 1900 as the city became more important in the southeast part of Spain, due to its natural harbor. I have read that the interior is spectacular; of course, I did not go inside! What a turkey I am!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Cartagena, Spain - part 8

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:05

It took a lot of searching on my part to find out anything. This carousel is powered by steam and was built in 1886. It is on Plaza Jose Maria Artes near the city hall.

Our guide from Spaindaytours had given us some time to wander a bit and just take a break from the tour up to that point.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:07

A lottery booth in the old town area of Cartagena, Spain.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:09

I missed this before.

The tower/dome of Cartagena's city hall. Art Nouveau was the rage at the time. I like that style of architecture.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:11

Another Art Nouveau building in the old town of Cartagena is the Grand Hotel. Sadly it is now only offices.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:13

Opposite the Grand Hotel on San Sebastian Plaza is this tribute to Santa Maria Soledad Acosta, the found of the order of Servants of Mary, Minister to the Sick. It has a light immediately above it; I would guess that it really stands out at night.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:15

Apartment living in the old town area of Cartagena Spain. There are really cool buildings in this city.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:19

A café in the Cartagena’s old town, El Pico Esquina offers indoor dining (white table cloth-type), along with in the sun and under an awning. It appeared to be a great place.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:21

A neat wine and gift shop. Spanish wines are sooo good! We tried to bring back several; however, they were consumed in our cabin.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:24

Valor’s Chocolate has been a huge presence in Spain for more than 120 years. Their cafes are in all major cities. On the ship, we had asked about must-do things in Spain - all the crew members said the same - Hot Chocolate. Served with churros (a deep-fried pastry), it is decadent. Remember, 1 Euro equals $1.35USD

The missus sat there for a long time, holding court with Cruise Critic friends, while I did my exploring.

o

Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:27

We sat outside Valor's Chocolate on Plaza del Ayuntamiento and watched the people go by. This is a peek inside their shop. Gelato, bon-bons, churros and packages of goodies are available. Yum!

o

The Grand Hotel looks like a confection...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here