Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pizza Sauce

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 12:05

1/2-inch mesh wire fencing has foiled the BigM tomato-stealing squirrels -so far.

The first picking of the Big Mamas made the first batch of pizza sauce! Only 4 pints + 1 meal fresh, but yum, yum! I had forgotten how good it tastes when it's from home-made sauce. Another dozen pints for pizza, and then I can make creole sauce...

DH is still on the losing side of the tomato-grabbing contest (squirrels are winning hands-, er, paws-down). They've been ignoring his yellow tomatoes, so he finally has been able to get a good picking. Trouble is, I don't like the yellows for sauce or even for juice; the taste is too mild and it looks funny-peculiar. I'll freeze some in chunks to toss into lentil soup, but I haven't been able to think of anything else to do with them. I sure hope the neighbors don't get tired of yellow tomatos for another couple months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pizza Sauce

I just don't get it. None of my squirrels bother the tomatoes. Must be a regional thing, like Northerners not liking grits.

o

My momma hates grits and she was raised in Nashville. (grinning! and then running) but I love them. Everything eats tomatoes here.

Why not fry those yellow suckers? Coating would make them look less, um, peculiar.

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 17:57

I have made a yellow tomato gazpacho...If you think they are too mild, just add lemon until they taste right.

o

Yes, I agree, yellow tomatoes look "funny-peculiar" as tomato sauce that we think of as red.
How about using the yellows as fillers for the red?
Here's a favorite recipe for all kinds of tomatoes.

Cut tomatoes in half, sprinkle with salt, put some olive oil in a pan, place the tomatoes in the pan and cook until soft.
Remove tomatoes, sprinkle some bread crumbs and herbs in the oil, put the mixture on top the cooked tomatoes, sprinkle with some cheese and broil to perfection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here