Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

Speaking of Mayberry

anneliese_32
11 years ago

What happened to the Fourth of July?

Used to be that almost every house had a flag flying, the towns, especially the smaller ones, had a parade and by noon you had the smell of backyard grills all over the place and children playing and music here and there. When you got up in the morning, even if momentarily you forgot that it was a holiday, once you opened the front door you just knew that it was a day for celebrating.

Went for my walk this morning. Trucks up and down the highway, delivery trucks from box stores pulling into store parking lots and even a gravel truck pulling into a new sub-division. Flags on houses? A couple of them and mine and I just saw neighbors coming back from a shopping trip to the next mall.

That it is going to be a hot day don't seem to have anything to do with it, it was the same last year.

Comments (6)

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

I think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that we are not now the country that we once were.

We no longer seem to value the Independence of the Person. We want the Government to do it all, take care of us, make our decisions for us and generally be our nannies.

Maybe we are beginning to see that maybe other countries have a few good ideas too.

What good is OUR independence if we don't want to allow other countries to exist as they wish?

• oscarthecat
    11 years ago

New sponsor in the Whitehouse

• mwoods
    11 years ago

Lots of parades around here,community events and picnics. Many of our friends are having cookouts...wish we could attend at least one.Tonight there will be fireworks all over the place. I don't go out but our neighbor's flag is out as I'm sure is the case up and down the road.I think it just depends on where you live and the general age of the local population. It was the same on Memorial Day.

• gandle
    11 years ago

Well, we are a long way from an ideal time and place like Mayberry but we still have a parade and tonight there will be a rodeo at the rodeo grounds and fireworks after. There are flags on all the houses on our block except the vacant one next door. And, agnespuffin stated my thoughts very well. Agree 100%.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday America.The country is going through a tough time but in my mind that's when we need to support her the most. Our flag is flying as always on the 4th, there are flags all over the neighborhood, there are parades and fireworks, even a sniff of backyard BBQ.
    No matter who the president is the country has to stand for "We the People".

• Janis_G
    11 years ago

As I've watched the news unfold month after month
    and all the killing of people in other countries, I
    am more than happy that I was born in this wonderful,
    beautiful, country.

While I don't like the things that are happening here, I
    love this country and I would defend it to the death.

Thank you to the men and women of our military for their
    sacrifices for our freedom.

We still have flags, bar-b-q's and fireworks.
    Celebrations are alive and well here in the south.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area
More Discussions