Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early morning visitor

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 12:58

The bullfrog tadpoles (lots of them) are the target, glad the egret and heron do their job, or we would be overrun with bullfrogs.
They are not natives, someone imported them because they liked frog-legs and now they are considered an invasive pest.
We usually have a pair - maybe they are the same and hibernate over winter -noisy buggers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early morning visitor

Egrets are such elegant birds. I wish it good hunting. Have not heard a bullfrog in ages. They went with the local ponds and their relatives, the tree frogs.
Thanks for the picture.

o

I don't like the heron one bit. We have our pond netted so we don't lose any fish or frogs. We have about 5 frogs, 1 is a bull frog, No tree frogs here. Haven't seen any heron this year.

o

I was surprised when I saw an egret in our pond last week. It had a pretty good meal when it preyed on a poor frog. Between a frog and an egret, the egret wins.

o

Good morning, Kimball
Welcome to the party. The egret and a blue heron patrol my pond fairly regularly and thin the bullfrog population. Too bad for the frogs, but they would overran the pond and the frogs would eat al the fishes, so it's a balance.

o

What a lovely little visitor! It's good to have a camera handy I tell you!

o

Ah serene. Nice photo. Makes me smile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here