Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Fireworks

gandle
10 years ago

Granted, our town is quite lenient concerning fireworks but. The literally earthshaking ones went on til midnight, Why isn't there a federal tax on all fireworks. Seems to me that would raise a lot of revenue. Oh yeah, I forgot they would have to establish a whole new department and hire hundreds of people to run it making a money losing proposition. Bad idea.

Comments (6)

• don_socal
    10 years ago

Here it has been illegal for any fireworks except public displays for quite a few years but got on the last ballot and passed. The "safe and sane stands" were all over for the last week.

There have been a few that have gone to Mexico for the last few years and picked up near professional sky rockets shooting them off near the RR tracks. Problem is the RR sprays and kills even mature palm trees with shag from the ground to 40 ft. high. These go up and are done burning before the FD is there but throw off lots of sparks.

There was a whole large block of apartments that burned to the ground called Palm Villa years ago and that was just a wire that hit a palm tree in the wind. Some people do not think much.

So we had five neighbors that also went to Mexico and bought rockets that go up to 200ft. high. (Ohh, see the pretty colors) as the neighborhood burns. They are very loud also and our cats and birds in the aviary were not very happy but luckily still alive. Sometimes birds just keel over when disturbed by loud noises at night. Had two fire trucks and an ambulance come into the neighbor hood for twenty minutes about 9:30.

Do not care for this stuff any more even if I did when I was a kid. There were local people on FB talking about how the whole city sounded like a war zone and it really did. The private stuff added to the public displays (lots of them) were way over the top. We get Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm every night during the summer at 9:30 for twenty minutes but they are both about 10 miles away. Still they are loud and since we are at a higher elevation we can see the displays also. Still not enough for the hard core crazys.

This post was edited by don_socal on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 15:33

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

It was relatively quiet here. A couple of big booms shortly after midnight and that's all I heard.

• mjmercer
    10 years ago

Charlotte the Shih Tzu didn't let the fireworks show across the street disturb her sleep. Note the photograph.

Karen

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

What an unusual dog! She is serene and calm.
    Fireworks are illegal here, but Mother Nature put on a show anyway, a long, slow-moving Thunderstorm, and Gussie came unglued!

• anneliese_32
    10 years ago

My cat started to hide out last Monday, when some kids played with fireworks. At the first sound during the next days she hid under my bed. Last night she went there around 6PM. I think she figured she might as well be prepared. Just some ladfinger crackers last night, but it was midnight by the time she came out.

• GrannieAnnie_MO
    10 years ago

Although it is illegal in the St Louis suburbs, neighbors set off fireworks before, during, and after the 4th; usually beginning around midnight. On the night of the 5th, I opened my window and yelled: "Can you read a calendar!" And, no it didn't stop them. Guess what, they're at it again.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions