Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why

Posted by oscarthecat z7MD (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 13:16

is a sugar spoon shaped the way it is????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why

Why not?lol lol

o

Perhaps so it can't be mistaken for a tea-spoon?

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 16:18

So people can put more sugar in their tea? :)

The temp is 93.7 and I'm getting silly ! You, too, Steve?

o

obviously

o

Artistic license.

o

LindaC probably knows :(

My guesses, to match the interior of a delicate sugar bowl so as not to harm the china or crystal. To help break up sugar that has hardened. It's a holdover from when sugar came in those really odd cone, "sugar loaf". Dunno any others!

o
the real reason why

I couldn't leave it alone. I looked it up. Before I give you the answer, I will tell you, the sugarloaf's utensil counter part is a sugar axe. They look like tiny, deadly instruments of torture. I can just see earlier century boys getting into a lot of trouble with them! Ok, so the answer, from Wise Geek is:

"One of the most common shapes for a sugar spoon is one with fluted edges and an overall shape similar to a seashell. These types of spoons are often referred to as sugar shells or sugar shell spoons. The shape of the spoon separates the sugar on the spoon, making it easier to only get part of the sugar off the spoon. This allows better control over the sugar, so someone using a sugar spoon to scoop sugar into coffee or tea can limit the amount."

Here is a link that might be useful: andrestavern's picture of sugar axes

o

Rob, good research, and it makes sense, doesn't it?

o

LS- sure does- I was scratching my head and wondering....well no more...

o

But I liked the funny answers better. It is too freakin' hot!

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 18:18

Rob, thanks for the explanation; as usual, I learned something I didn't know on the GP.

o

Rob, this is great -- I never understood this until now, but it makes perfect sense. And good discussion fodder for my next dinner party! Thanks.

o

The question arises. apart from
oscarthecat, who cares?lol lol lol

o

Interesting question and answers.
I find the history of the "spice" wars, including sugar, salt etc, wars, very interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here