Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Sunscreens for cars?

meldy_nva
11 years ago

Why not? Just push a button (or turn a crank if you're old-fashioned) and have reflecting screens drop down to cover the windows. I dare think they would be more appreciated than GPS.

This is wondered by someone who found the interior of her car at 148* --- interior screen over front windshield but other windows just absorbed all those solar rays. Yes, I actually burned my hand on the metal clasp of the seatbelt.

Comments (9)

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

They do have reflective screens for every window of most standard autos, but I've not heard of any crank or automatic screens. Some are put on with suction cups.

I'm thinking about some of the posts here at the GP, where people have said that they have automatic heating for their cars, they use a clicker and certain parts of the car heats up, steering wheel, seat warmer etc...
    I wonder if there are cars that do have automatic cooling features?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Oh I can't take that! I used to park under a tree in the back yard until we got a carport. I try not to go anywhere where I would have to park in the sun during the heat of the day, and leave the windows and sunroof cracked when I have to.

One thing that helps a lot is a steering wheel cover. I have a nice padded one that matches the seats (beige) covering the DARK brown leather (who came up with that!!?) wheel. Another aid is to park facing north or east, away from the sun, or walk farther from a shady spot. Light colored car is a must.

West, a remote start key fob allows the car to cool off if the A/C is on when the car starts.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

purpleinopp , thanks for the info. Once I had the right lingo, wireless "fob" I was able to to do some research on the web. There are a lot of info about about fobs.
    I realize that I have a fob that I call a clicker, that unlocks all the doors and opens the trunk. Now I need one that can cool my car.

• Janis_G
    11 years ago

My car has an automatic shade for the back window and
    air-conditioned seats. Those goodies are good to have
    but I love the key thingy the most. I love not having to
    search in my purse for keys. I can just walk up to the car and touch the door handle and it unlocks. I push a button
    and it starts. Of course if you don't have the key fob in your purse you can't even get in the car and you sure
    aren't going anywhere.

I've often wondered how hot it is in the car when the temp
    outside is 110.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Janis~ The inside temperature will depend on: is the car in sun or shade? is the interior light- or dark-colored? are any windows cracked open? ground temperature? exterior car color affects speed of warm-up but prior questions have more influence overall. Link is to a nice little unofficial comparison, but there are quite a few different examples available on-line.

BTW, I have baked blueberry muffins in a hot car, placing the muffin tin on the window shelf behind the backseat. They took about 90 minutes ~ 10a to 1130a, 85* [shade temp], dark car with dark interior parked in full sun. Won $10 bet, and we both agreed the muffins tasted pretty good!

Here is a link that might be useful: how hot is car interior

• Janis_G
    11 years ago

Meldy, while we were having temps of 109, I thought my car had to be 200 or more.
    My car is silver, grey leather seats,
    sits out in full sun, no shade and no garage.
    If I ever need an extra oven, I'll remember your muffins.
    I've heard of frying eggs on a sidewalk but never baking muffins in a car. You go girl!!

Thanks for the link! I think in the summer time news broadcasts should all start out with a warning about how hot cars can get.
    My heart breaks each time a child or a pet
    dies because they were left in a vehicle.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Janis, my heart also breaks when I read about some child or pet left in a hot car. Thinking ahead, how about having a child seat that has to be connected to a siren that would sound every time a door is opened? I don't know about pets.
    I find this an interesting post, because it reminds me that when I buy a new (to me) car, I have to pick the features I want.

• meldy_nva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

J~ it was a loaded bet, which I admitted before taking the money: I had checked the interior temperature several times before actually agreeing to the bet. The average was 175* from 930a to 11a (per Taylor oven thermometer), and ranged from 190* to 230* by the end of the workday.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions