Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

When I was just a lurker.

User
11 years ago

I did not start posting on GP till about the middle of 2000 when LOTR became a subject while in production. I had been lurking here and on the rose forums where Missy was posting since '98. Here is a thread I remember from '99 that was saved that you may get a kick out of and remember some of the posters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinky Winky Falwell

Comments (24)

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Does that bring back memories and wondering what happened to some of the posters, especially to Ulrike and Dorte.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

The person I remember most from the very early days, is Ruthanne, she lived with dh/family on a airport runway somewhere, Her posts were treasures and as I understand it, she hosted get-to-gethers for the GP groups. At some point she stopped posting, but I'm still wondering how she is doing.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Stew is my son.....and that post got him sent for a permanent ride in the teacups!! LOL!
    Ruthanne is alive and well....still lives on the runway....and the rotten kids have grown up and given her a beautiful grand daughter!
    I will call Stew's attention to this post....I am sure he will get a major giggle. those Tele-tubby loving toddlers are about to enter their senior year in High School!!

don....thanks for the stroll down the lane......anyone know anything about The Rev??
    Linda C

• gmatx zone 6
    11 years ago

Oh gosh Don, I laughed until I had tears running down my face from laughing so hard! We need to have some posts like that. Wonder what we need to do to stir something up that lively so we can "talk" about it? LOL

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

Yeah,I miss that kind of post too. The GP just had a lot of bad luck all about the same time. A deluge of folks that had to see that everything was P.C. They also seemed to be completly without a normal sense of humor. Didn't understand irony or sarcastic remarks either.

So, by the time I read everything over three or four times to make sure that I wouldn't offend anyone, I just said to h-ll with it and dumped it.

It just made the Garden Party one big nothing. Thank heavens that it seems to be rising up from the ashes again.

• gloriam
    11 years ago

Lindac, the last I knew of The Rev he was in Florida living yet and had a blog, not sure about the name of it but things weren't going good for him. He had got kicked off of here. Maybe Michael knows something, I think he was kinda a friend to him. I felt bad for the man

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

:)

y'all made me smile. I kinda liked Rev. He was an odd bird, but I liked that about him. I too miss some on those threads. Some I didn't know. Somebody grab the blue paint and madeira!

• gandle
    11 years ago

I was a lurker here then and remember the post. Hilarious. Wonder if any of those posters even read the party posts aymore.

• gloriam
    11 years ago

I joined the Garden Party in 2003 and come back every now and then. All I've had is losses since then. A grandson, a daughter, and a son in Nov.

Yes, Rev was a oddball and said what he though even if he knew not to say it. He made me laugh. He had troubles with his land down in Florida. I think by his blogs they were trying to take it away. And his health wasn't too good. Yes I also would like to know where he is.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Anybody remember the night-time shenanigans going on for a long time? I remember that there were hilarious postings. I worked nights and could read, but not post on my work computer, it got me to lurk here.
    John was one of those who was driven away because somebody did not understand that he was making fun of himself, still miss him.

• endorphinjunkie
    11 years ago

You mean the Mad Hatters? KathyD was a major part of that, too. Haven't talked to Rev in a couple of years. I need to see if I still have his number.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I also miss John, he spoke my foodie language.

• gloriam
    11 years ago

Here is the link to his blog but he hasn't post since 2009.

http://brainfungus.blogspot.com/

I remember when I was on the GP alote we used to take trips, we would say we were going to a place and what we would take.

I remember the chimes I got from michael, they still might be on my oldest XP computer.

• gloriam
    11 years ago

Michael if you get a hold of Rev let me know on here. I also would like to know how his life turned out. As I said I always felt sad for him.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

I also want to know about Rev.

I used to follow his blog, until he stopped posting. It worries me.

• kathyjane
    11 years ago

Don, thank you----you always try to invite/include everyone on so many of your posts spanning the years---it is a gift---you love to share.
    Sis

Rev always made me think----sometimes in circles, but that was fine, too!
    He had a way with letting his incredible thoughts just stream on and on. I was mesmerized.

His attention to some infinite detail discovered on a thinking spree, a walk, or in a pile of dog poop he'd stepped in, could leave me running to catch up with him so I wouldn't miss any of the adventure.

Rev, I miss you, also----and always will, no matter where you are---you made life a party, even when things were down.
    I've always had the greatest respect and for you and your life-pain sometimes left me weeping for you.
    I hope times are better.
    Your friend, KJ

• endorphinjunkie
    11 years ago

I can't seem to find Rev's number. I do know his last name and city where he lives, but can't find any reference to him on a cursory web search.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

I found a blog from John, but the last entry was 26 Mar 2009, he mentioned that he had a bad cold and nothing since, but he got a new book out.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Rev was very sadly betrayed by someone who used to post here....who said she was in love with him....
    he was ga ga over her.....then she cyberly dumped him and very publicly took up with someone else.
    poor Rev...I hope they didn't drain his swamp.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Lindac, but how did that get him banned?
    Affairs of the heart is the fodder of the net.

• kathyjane
    11 years ago

gloriam----are you the Gloria who rides mc's? :o)
    (Remember I had the little Honda 350/4 cyl?)

I'm so sorry for the losses in your family and I hope time and faith will continue to help you through this terrible time.
    You are a very strong woman.
    I'll remember you in prayer.
    KJ

• lindac
    11 years ago

The cyber love affair had nothing to do with his getting sent to the tea cups...it was a year or2 after that that someone took offense with his "politics" and created a fuss.

Anyone who has been around here very long remembers all the judgmental and even vindictive people who either posted here...or perhaps just lurked in hopes of finding something that could be called offensive.

Sadly a lot of good people fell under the gun...remembering a fine woman who was openly gay....and another who was a wiccan...

I miss a lot of them...Weebus, Shiela, Rev, Dicken, Sally Ann....a woman who's name I sadly forget who left a batch of home made cookies at a motel for my son and his family when they were on a road trip.
    And Ruthann and Suzanne, and Reb...Marie of the hats and the red headed grand daughter. and there was Auntie and G'ann on Blueberry Mountain with the bears, and Big Foot and Bill who climbed the radio tower in an ice storm...in dress shoes.

How about a rousing chorus of..."those were the days, my friends......"

• gloriam
    11 years ago

Yes kathyJane I was the Gloria who rode Motorcycles, I now ride just a 250cc scooter. And my hubby rides a Harley.

I remember so many of you.

Yes, "those were the days, my friends......"

Was John, the Rev's name? Yes there were some that didn't like him, But I don't remember who. It didn't bother me how
    he talked, I could see though it.

I am going to a carvial tonight to see my grandson Ryan and the country band he sings in. He has wanted this all his life and I am so proud of him

Chat with you all later.

• Lisa_H OK
    11 years ago

Gloria, John was a chef or at least a food connoisseur, as I recall. I miss those days too a little.

Have fun listening to your grandson!

Lisa

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions