Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Cartagena, Spain - part 7

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

This Roman Theater cavea was created from the rock base and was built between 5 and 1 BC. In the 3rd century AD, a market was built over the theater. The Byzantines added on in the 6th century. It was rediscovered in 1988 as another construction project was beginning. The excavation was completed in 2003 (that seems quick to me) and a museum added in 2008.

Comments (9)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The amphitheater would seat 6,000; with three levels. Of course the favored sat close to the stage area.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't believe that they had good cushions to sit on, but I wasn't there.

The steps were added for safety purposes. When I was there, several school groups were touring.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This Roman Frieze is in the museum. There is a fee for admission.

You enter through the museum, that is a block away and then you wend your way through several levels to come out at the top of the cavea.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close view of the stage, with a width of more than 140 feet. Based on the height of some of the columns, it was determined the height was about 48 feet. That is a big stage.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This view is from the stage area. It is some of what the performers saw.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have moved away from the Roman Theater. (I am not sure on the 're' or 'er' at the end of that word.)

I do not know what this was originally, but work was progressing (slowly it appeared) to refurbish it. This was near the Roman Theatre

This post was edited by Jim-1 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 14:45

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hans Christian Andersen spent time in Cartagena and Murcia in 1862 and wrote about his trip in his book, "A Journey Through Spain." (That should be underlined, but I cannot make that happen on this forum!)

Spottorno is a Spanish last name. Thus, the Spottorno House.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

That's one good sized theater, only football stadiums are big here. Interesting that it was discovered so late. Wonder what covered it up over the centuries.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seating capacity - if there were 6,000 people, then they were sitting close to each other. What is amazing, is that this is only a semi-circle. A full arena would hold more than 10,000. That is much larger than many college basketball venues.

It seems that as control of the area changed (it happened all over western Europe, but particularly Spain), buildings would be trashed and the foundation used for something else. That was common with many of the churches we saw. A mosque would be taken down and the foundation for a Christian church would be built. After the Byzantines were in control in southeastern Spain, there were many other cultures that were there. They did not really care about digging up the past (that's a pun). The only way that this theater was found was due to new construction standards mandated better foundations and thus they went digging. And, what do you know, there was a Roman theater. What they were going to build there was cancelled.

This photo shows some of the different ways of constructing things at the amphitheater site.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions