Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Sorrento, Italy - part 2

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:39

When arriving in Sorrento from the ship (at anchor in the bay), you will arrive at the base of the cliffs. It is a long way up.

This is a view from the small pier of some of the hotels and the cliffs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Sorrento, Italy - part 2

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:43

This hotel is prominent. Excelsior Vittoria has a wonderful view of the bay. I did some checking online. With 92 rooms, it is 180 years old! I noticed that Diane Schur will be preforming in the lounge on 7/18!

Just to see how much, I looked for rates for November (definitely off-season). A deluxe room with sea view and double bed - $425/night (2 night minimum); a suite with sea view is $660/night. I converted their quotes from Euro to US dollar. Breakfast is included!

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:45

There were buses available (small fee) to ride to the top. I am cheap and figured that I needed the exercise. Somewhere in this photo is the path/road to the top.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:47

In case you missed it, once I got to the top (only 2 breaks), I took this picture of what I had climbed.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:50

Holland America's Maasdam at anchor in the bay at Sorrento, Italy. You can almost see the tenders as they shuttle passengers and crew to shore.
Also, there is a road on land in the middle of the picture. It is one of the ways to get to Naples, which is in the far background.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:57

This is the altar at Our Lady of Sorrows church in Sorrento.

This shows the 18th century wooden statue of the Lady of Sorrows. The church was completed in 1739.

It was very quiet inside. One felt almost obligated to whisper.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:59

This diorama was just to the left of the main altar. It was difficult to get a good picture because of lighting and the reflection off the glass.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 15:02

The first photo in this series shows hotels and cliffs as I was looking up. This is the view from the top looking down.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 15:04

After looking down, I noticed these folks just sitting and enjoying the view. I was a beautiful day.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 15:07

I walked down at a different spot. I did not have to share with buses and cars. I took this picture looking up as I descended.

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 15:10

Back on the ship, this was the view of Sorrento through the window in our cabin. Very nice city, I would return.

On to our next port of call; Messina, Sicily. We'll be there at 8:00 a.m. and meet our tour guide at 8:15!

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 18:12

Jim, your pictures are fabulous, and your commentary is interesting. I'm very impressed that you walked up--and back down--that VERY STEEP 'hill'. your leg muscles got a good workout!

o

You saw all the places we missed, since that part of Italy is definitely not bike friendly. Love your pictures and am still making my way through the last couple of weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here