Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardening

Posted by anneliese_32 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 14:43

Crabgras an grow on a bowling ball in airless rooms, and there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons.
Dave Barry

Guess what I did today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardening

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 17:27

Went bowling?

o

Bet you sat in the shade sipin" slurpies!

o

Contemplating how to nuke crabgrass?

o

I've read that crabgrass is an annual, but it spreads so quickly I've never been able to determine the age of any single plant.

Anyway, what I wanted to tell you is that if you use CGM (corn germ meal) on the lawn to get rid of dandelions and other aggravating annual weeds, a side-effect is that the crabgrass does seem to diminish. It took 3 years for my lawn to become totally free of dandelions, and it's been several years ago since I first celebrated having a green lawn without yellow dandelions or other weeds.

Please note that CGM is a pre-emergent, meaning that it prevents seeds from sprouting, which is why it's commonly spread in the early spring. In my dandelion battle, I spread it at forsythia-showing-yellow-buds, 3 weeks later and another 3 weeks later. Is it expensive? Sort of. Compared to doing nothing, your wallet will definitely feel the price tag. Compared to using herbicides (as you know, they aren't very effective in spite of the advertising claims), CMG is only slightly more costly, and cheaper yet if you count honestly all the times you have to re-apply the ineffective herbicides. It's definitely cheaper than paying for the doctor's treatment of the knee I re-dislocated while getting up from a weed-pulling session.

o

I think the "pre-emergent" products are great and I've been using them for years and they work, and in my mind they are worth their weight in time spent pulling weeds.
There is a company called "Green" something or another that comes around in the neighborhood and is pushing their "no weed" service and charging a lot for the service.
I buy a box of pre-emergent and toss it around the grass and some weedy areas in my garden.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 21:51

I used that CGM once and lo and behold: the quail and the ducks loved it, gobbled it all up.
I finally gave up using water and resources, I have, in winter and spring, a green patch and in summer it is a brown patch. I am lucky I can do that, no rules except my own on this place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here