Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you know a person with albinism?

Posted by mrobbins 6b - Brooklyn (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 15:36

One of my good friends is albino, and I may be making another friend who is, too. He put me on to a website that describes what albinism really is, and what it means for a person to have albinism. I learned a lot from it. I didn't realize, for instance, that the vision problems that come with albinism cannot be corrected by glasses/contacts/surgery, but that all sorts of clever optical devices (monoculars, etc.) can help.

Here is a link that might be useful: National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you know a person with albinism?

I personally do not know a person with that description, but I do want to say that I am glad to see you posting again.

o

Yes.......I knew one with whom I used to work, and several people with vitiligo. Also knew a gentleman who was a genetic chimera.

Here is a link that might be useful: chimeras

o

When I was in high school I had a motorcycle accident that messed up my leg quite a bit and was relegated to the modified gym class. There I met guys that had various physical distinctions such as blindness, epilepsy, deafness albinism and various others. They taught me much about being different and functioning within the system. I hear about the way those with albinism are treated in Africa and think of my friends from school. Sad how the human animal treats those that are different and lose the contributions of a different perspective.

o
biology vs. society

I dunno, Don, I think it's pretty understandable: we're animals, after all, and almost every species on this planet has the instinct to destroy individual members who are different. I think it's one of the ways nature "edits" itself, weeding out the individuals that might weaken or just change the development of the species.

That said, we are more than animals. We are social animals. Biology gives us lots of information, but then we have the capacity to sort and value that information, and decide how -- or even whether -- it needs to be acted on or expressed.

I found myself staring at a woman with vitiligo in the supermarket recently. She was a dark skinned woman with pale skin in irregular patches around all of her facial features -- eyes, nose, mouth -- and at her elbows and knees. She was tall, fit, dressed in a pretty sundress, pregnant, and her husband was at her side. She had a lovely stature and graceful movements. I've been thinking ever since how difficult it is to override our initial shock or displeasure with someone who seems very different, or even "wrong" -- but how important and rewarding it is to at least try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here