Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shirttail aunties and uncles?

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 16:07

It's the first time I've seen those terms. I've done some research but I still can't figure it out.
Anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shirttail aunties and uncles?

Not at all sure if this is right, but a long time ago somebody told me that this would be honorary aunts and uncles, such as friends of the parents which years ago, before it was common to call everybody by their first name, were close enough not to be called by Miss/Mrs/Mr last name but aunt or uncle first or last name.

o

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:21

This is my understanding of the phrase.

Your shirttail might not be the best part of your shirt, being in the back. It's not what most people would like to brag about. A shirttail relative is someone who might or might not be an actual relative, but might not be the person you would speak about with glowing words.

Jim

o

Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 11:18

You got me searching. I have about 15 books on word and phrase origins (including American slang). I could not locate anything.

What I related before was what my mother told me (as they say in the American south - "bless her heart").

Below is a link to something that looks good in that it refers to other sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shirttail relatives.

o

Thanks for the link, Jim.
This all started when I saw a listing for a house for sale a few blocks from our house and it said it was in a "pocket neighborhood". I had never heard of that, so I did a search and on the page linked below, I found the term, shirttail aunties and uncles.
I'm still not sure when the term came from. But it is interesting learning something new

Here is a link that might be useful: pocket neighborhood

o

Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 13:44

My initial reaction is that this would not be good for me. I gotta have "my" space for doing "my" thing, Maybe for a young person or someone much older than I am, it might be good. But, I still have my flowers (that I move a lot) and my veggies (and that gets bigger every year).

Interesting, but not for me. Shirttail relatives makes sense in this situation. I have never lived in a situation that might even come close to this.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here