Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

Behind my back!

lilosophie
9 years ago

I wasn't paying attention for a day or two and that is what the squash came up with! I think maybe I better neuter it?

Comments (8)

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Beautiful looking squash. Could you set up a farm stand by your gate? I'd buy those beauties.

• mawheel
    9 years ago

Lilo, those squash are beautiful! May I ask what kind they are? I'm not familiar with them; We usually see acorn, butternut, spaghetti, and plain old yellow squash, which we had as our veggie for supper, tonight. I like to buy little ones, slice them thinly, then saute them with some onion--also thinly sliced--in a little bit of olive oil. They're delicious, and take less then ten minutes to cook.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

I am not familiar with those either. How big are they?

Coming along this time of year, I would guess them to be a soft skinned 'summer squash' (zucchini for instance) as opposed to the harder skinned 'winter squash' (acorn, butternut, etc.).

Jim

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are thin skinned summer squash, don't know their name, the starts were given to me by a local friend who has grown them from seeds saved by family forever. They are tender, these are almost baseball size, suppose they can get much bigger.
    Huge plants with huge leaves.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Don't know what happened to my post from last evening, but the follow up told me what kind it is. They look so god.

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did some research and discovered the squash is called :'Tronco de Zapallo" it originated in South America, is a thin-skinned summer squash and, if left on the vine, eventually will morph into a thick-skinned winter squash with yellow flesh.
    If someone is interested, seeds are available, Google has info on the source.
    I think I want to let at least a couple get mature, it's said they are hard to cut once totally ripe (chain-saw or splitting maul anyone?)

• Janis_G
    9 years ago

Lilo, want me to send you my chain saw?

• lilosophie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Janis, almost everyone around here has a chain-saw.
    Hammer and chisel will most likely do the job.
    Two winters ago our CSA farmer had a very delicious winter-squash in our shares that was very hard to cut, he heard a lot about it from the share-holders and hasn't grown it since, sticking to acorn and butternut squash instead.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath
More Discussions