Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
108º and climbing

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 16:33

But we are promised some relief tomorrow. Temps in the lower 90ºs. Might have to break out a sweater. Or maybe not. Hate to think what the electric bill will look like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 108º and climbing

Stay inside and stay cool! Same thing I told my mom and my son. This is no weather to be played with.

It's the car that took the beating in this weather (up to 109 last Friday, and today is day number 7 of over 100 degree weather here). I finally had to finish fixing the cooling system. You shoulda seen the number of people buying stuff for that last weekend. Oy. And the parking lots are covered in antifreeze/coolant. Not from the A/C, from the radiator.

o

We had a full basement when we lived in Iowa, hardly any basements out here. That was the best place to be in hot weather as it stayed cool in summer and warm in winter. Hope you have a good way to beat the heat. Drink plenty of water and take care of each other, of course with you two that goes without sayin'.

o

I am afraid I am getting used to that heat. Went out to get the cat carrier from the shed, on the way found this and that to do and all of a sudden it was 1 hour later and 103F. We might go below 100 on Monday or Tuesday.

o

Oh my gosh, I feel for you guys/gals in this heatwave and all the trouble is causes. Take care of yourselves and others the best you can.

o

Yikes!

o
Gandle, how are the crops doing?

Been reading about high temps and that crops are drying up, but haven't heard about your area.

o

Our official count was 11 consecutive days of 95+, last four of which were 100+. My thermometers hit 105 on each of those days, and over 100 on 4 others; I cannot bring myself to imagine what 108+ is like. Those 100+ days were made bearable by having [for here] very low humidity of 65%. But I didn't get used to them... I mostly quit functioning when the temp is over 90.

Not the electric bill, but the water bill is going to be the shocker to my wallet... less than 3/4" rain in May and June, and -even with all the storms around this area- so far in July we've just had 1/2" rain. I've been watering the garden, but not because home-grown saves money! Drip irrigation is still expensive water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here