Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janis_g

Victory Roll / Don't cheat and google i t !

Janis_G
11 years ago

Do you know what it is?

Do you remember ever seeing it?

Comments (17)

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Probably I'm old enough to know what it is--but I don't! I won't google it, if you promise to tell us what it it!

• shilty
    11 years ago

Is it when pilots complete a successful mission, they roll their plane?

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll tell you, I promise.

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

I agree with Shilty! WWII.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

I go along with Anneliese and Shilty

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is an airplane manuever, however, it is also a hair style.
    During WWII, women had the Victory Roll style to show their support.

The style is making a comeback in some areas again.
    While I can understand it being popular in the forties, I
    can't see it really being worn now.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Aw, I'm just now seeing this. I would've said the ride to Sturgis, SD. Big bro is on his way, think he took the Harley instead of the Buell. At least I hope so!

I'm sure there are some cuties out there that could get away with that 'do. Not me, but someone! Actually, she was on Worst Cooks in America. What was her name? Oh yea! Jenny Cross. She could pull it off. If you don't know her she has a 1940s inspired look.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:172800}}

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

During WWII, the Victory Bob was a popular hair style. You could not buy bobby pins, barretts or metal curlers, so the hair was cut short enough so that you could roll it up on rag strips, comb it out, and go. No pinning up or nothing.

I remember when the war was over and bobby pins could be found again. My mother bought 10 pins for a dollar. She was desparate. $1.00 was a LOT of money then.

• kathyjane
    11 years ago

Janis, you sure brought back some memories!
    HAIRNETS!!!!!!!!!
    Mom wore one over her chignon whenever she left the house.

Once, when we were in a White Tower and Mom ordered coffee with her lunch---she was furious becuase she wasn't allowed to use more than one tsp. of sugar in it because of rationing!

Remember the newspaper and aluminum drives at the schools?

----and the Army convoys rolling through towns? Whole villages would turn out and wave to them....

Thanks for bringing back the memories, my friend!

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

Convoys!!

Ah yes, I remember them well. As a port city, we shipped out troops all the time. At first, everyone would stop and stand respectfully as they passed. Then it go sort of ho-hum as 100 truck convoys became commonplace.

It was a sad, sad sight. I dread the idea of it happening again. But there seems to be a mindset among some that look for war and excuses for war.

Now we just hear the troop transports FLY out. Just a few seconds and they are gone. Some forever.

• Janis_G
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have pictures of my mom with the Victory Roll hair style.

If I can ever figure out the picture thingy on here, I'll post
    a picture of her.

Michael always helped me with pictures.
    I couldn't have figured it out without his help.

I hope he is okay!

• shilty
    11 years ago

Oh - I STILL see some women with this hairstyle - fewer and fewer..

I so hope that if we ever go to war again, each and every person is as involved, as busy, as caring, as were the greatest generation.

There is not enough to say for the women of that era...factory work, hair styles be damned, two jobs cause there was no one else, keeping a military putting their home fires at bay while they went off for Gawd knows what.
    A promise of normalsy, or welcome no matter what, keeping the home fires burning, and ready to give it all back to them on their return.

Yes, the greatest generation men were wonderful, but so were the women. Victory rolls and all.

• don_socal
    11 years ago

Seems like a good thing to post...

Here is a link that might be useful: Andrews Sisters - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy [HD]

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Don, what great music to begin the day with! It makes me feel as if I actually want to move -- heat be d - - - - -!

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

My oldest sister joined the WAAC in 1942. I think it stood for Women's Auxiliary Army Corp. Later they changed it to WAC which my other sister then joined.
    The roll they would put in their hair was called a RAT. Then their own hair was combed over it.

We used to stand and wave at the troop trains as they came into or left Chicago

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Janis, I'd luv to see pics of your mom with n Victory Roll. Let's give it a try. If you have a scanner, scan the pic, then download it to your computer. Then come here and hit the "browse" button, find the pic on your computer and hit "open" and the pic should appear. At least that's how it works on my computer.
    I have a pic of my mom, taken in Norway, shortly after the German Occupation. I'll try to post it.

• lindac
    11 years ago

My mother also wore the roll...I remember she has a "thing" that clipped o to the end of her hair, she rolled it up, slid the "thingey" out and pinned the roll in place.
    My grandmother had a rat made from her own hair....it was considered icky to use a rat you bought....who knew what it was made of.....and my mother had about 6 tortoise shell hair pins....they were precious things. She had tortiose shell colored hair and they just matched. This was very early 1940's...well before plastics.

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors
More Discussions