Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Catch a Falling Star and Put it in Your Pocket

Posted by calliope 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 17:25

I pretty much missed what there was of the Draconids, but the Delta Aquariid shower should be picking up speed and the moon is just a sliver and the skies are clear. It's time to start looking up. Perseids are the next big one, but there are several other less spectacular showers here and there at this time of year and worth the effort to get your fav beverage and a blanket and park it under the skies.

My cousins came to visit two years ago and it was dark as they were saying their adieus when a brilliant streak zoomed across the skies overhead. One of my cousins was transfixed. She lives in a big city and had never seen a 'shooting star'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Catch a Falling Star and Put it in Your Pocket

We were at Assateague Island several years ago whenthis same thing occurred. It was a huge fireball directly overhead and looked as if it would crash into the ocean. Spectacular and scary. Steve in Stevens County.

o

I haven't seen a falling star in years! There is too much reflected light in our area from shopping centers, street lights, porch lights, automobile lights. The sky just isn't dark enough to see them except away from the city.

They are fantastic. Always made me dream of one day being able to speed through space in some kind of ship.

o

The clear view of the stars with minimum light is one of the best things about moving back up here. I just adore that vast feeling when you can see so much of the sky so clearly. Only drawback this year is the mosquitoes have been pretty bad. I better ride around and check for breeding sources.

Suzy, I do have to sit on a chair though and look up. If I get down on the ground, I'll still be there when Christy gets up in the morning..lol. Well, guess I could take a sleeping bag and hunker down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here