Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarthecat_gw

Questions for the day

oscarthecat
11 years ago

1. I have a beautiful blue frying pan. I have found oven cleaner does a good job cleaning the blue outside. But what can I safely clean the teflon coating with. ????

2. Any way to keep brown sugar from hardening up in the box?? Thank you Steve in Baltimore County

Comments (7)

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Steve, perhaps one of the scrubbies made for teflon-coated pans would work on the inside of your frying pan. I've found they clean well without scratching the surface of the pan.

As to brown sugar, it can be kept in the freezer, but I prefer to put mine in a ziplock bag; I keep it in its original wrapping, even put a rubber band around that to help it stay air tight and then into the ziplock bag. It works for me!

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

I dump brown sugar into a plastic container with a tight cover. Then into the 'fridge. If it gets hard..just add teensy bit of water.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Put a heel of bread in with hard brown sugar....or put it into the micro for a few seconds....softens it right up.

If your teflon coating on that lovely blue fry pan needs any sort of cleaning more than a simple soap and water swish, it's likely deteriorated to the point where it's no longer safe for cooking. Best to toss it and buy another.
    Linda C

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Yes, LindaC is correct. I don't trust Teflon at all - that's why I am a fan of cast iron :)

• oscarthecat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hate to give it up. I bought it brand new at a salr in Washington State lasdt year. Complete with heavy glass cover. But I think you are right. Time to shop for a new one. Think I may have overheated this one. Thank You all.

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

Before you toss the pan, try filling it 1/2 full with water and a few drops of dishwashing soap. On medium heat, bring to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes. Permit to cool slowly, then use a coarse terry towel or very soft plastic scrubbee to wipe the inside of the pan. Rinse with clear water. It is possible that the discoloration was caused by the contents burning when overheated, if so, the boil&soak will lift the minute remains and thus the pan will appear to be cleaner.

I think a lot of the blue pans are ceramic, not Teflon. If yours is ceramic, you can also try a mild bleach solution (1 part bleach to 10 parts water) and let it sit overnight. Wash thoroughly with soapy water. The ceramic pans will require pre-seasoning before use.

A slice of bread or an apple slice will re-moisten the sugar, as well as the microwave heating. I've found the easiest way to *prevent* hardening is to put the sugar into a zip-lock bag, pressing out all the air before sealing. I usually buy 20-lb bags and pre-measure portions: put the measured amount into a sandwich bag (twist the top tightly to close) and those bags into a storage- or freezer-weight zipper bag; pressing out the air at each step. I also keep a couple of sealed bags in a re-used peanutbutter jar for times when the pre-measured isn't the right amount. The sugar will remain soft for as long as a year. The secret is just to prevent any air from touching the sugar.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Brown sugar doesn't lump the way it used to. They must be putting some sort of treatment to it, like they do to other pour-ables. One of the naughtiest things I did as a little girl was to climb the tall metal dish cupboard in our kitchen, using each shelf as a step, to reach Mama's brown sugar jar at the top to snitch a lump of brown sugar. Of course the cabinet came toppling over on me, breaking what Mama called vitreous china dishes and how my father's camera next to the sugar jar survived, I'll never know. I got my seat warmed for that one after they got over their alarm I might have been injured. I put my brown sugar now, bag and all, into a smaller glass apothecary jar, with a sealed lid. Lumps of brown sugar........yum.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert
More Discussions