Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarthecat_gw

oscarthecat

oscarthecat
11 years ago

EARLY THIS MORNING THE REAL OSCARTHECAT SLIPPED OVER THE RAINBOW BRIDGE. HE WAS MY DAUGHTER MARYS FRIEND FOR MANY YEARS. AND WAS OF COURSE THE INSPIRATION FOR MY SIGN IN NAME. HE WILL BE MISSED. STEVE ALIAS OSCARTHECAT IN BALTIMORE COUNTY.

Comments (16)

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear that My Minnie went a few years ago too. Maybe they are chasing butterflies right now' HUGS

• calliope
    11 years ago

I always thought Oscar a grand name for a male cat, and he must have been some guy for you to have chosen that as a sign-in. I imagine it hurts even more when it's a one of your children's past pets. Of course you'll miss him and I'm sorry.

• mjmercer
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear this, Steve.

I've always taken solace in the following poem. I'm not sure how well-known it is. I first heard it when Maria Shriver recited it at Tim Russert's memorial service about three years ago.

The Little Ship

I stood watching as the little ship sailed out to sea. The setting sun tinted his white sails with a golden light, and as he disappeared from sight a voice at my side whispered, "He is gone".

But the sea was a narrow one. On the farther shore a little band of friends had gathered to watch and wait in happy expectation. Suddenly they caught sight of the tiny sail and, at the very moment when my companion had whispered, "He is gone" a glad shout went up in joyous welcome, "Here he comes!"

Rest well Oscar the Cat.

Karen

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

So sorry to hear that you lost your friend. It hurts.

• gabriell_gw
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of the real life Oscar. I use the name Gabriell, she is my late cat.Using her name is just a tribute to her.

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Steve, I am so sorry, but I know Oscar had a great life, how could he not with a name like Oscar.
    I know you honor his name by using it as your screen name.
    Love and hugs
    Lilo

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Steve, I am so sorry to learn of Oscar's loss. Our feline friends touch our hearts in a special way.

((((Oscar the Cat and Steve, too))))

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

My kindest wishes for comfort. I am sorry Steve!

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

Sorry about the loss of Oskar. I am sure he is already making many friends on the other side the Rainbow Bridge amongst the other pets of the Garden Party.

• pamven
    11 years ago

Oscar sounds like a noble soul...always so hard for me to read of pet passings.

• agnespuffin
    11 years ago

there is nothing like the love of a four-legged friend. These memories of Oscar will be with you and your family forever.

And I am one of those that thinks that we will meet again some day.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Karen, I was not familiar with the poem you quoted, but found it so touching, I couldn't share it with my DH w/o becoming tearful. I'm going to save it and hope that some day, some one will be able to read it at my or DH's passing. It is applicable to "man or beast", IMO.

Steve, I hope it brought you some comfort, too.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

I'm very sorry about the loss of your family's kitty cat.

We've been there too many times, but at least they are pain-free and in, I believe, a better place.

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

Karen I just read that sweet poem I'm going to save it. It reminds me of a cartoon on an editorial page after Elvis left us. It was a sketch of the pearly gates and all these girl angels were running to the gate their halos all topsy turvy yelling "it's Elvis It's Elvis"

I'm sure Oscar got a warm welcome too.

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

Many little pets fade away and are forgotten. The great ones stay forever in our hearts and memories. No doubt Oscar is among the great ones.

hugs,
    meldy

• gandle
    11 years ago

Very sorry Steve.

Sponsored
More Discussions