Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_871924

What's for dinner?

Pidge
13 years ago

I've had a 10-year-old granddaughter with us for 2 1/2 weeks and cooking for a kid is not always easy. Oona doesn't eat much meat but likes nearly all veggies. Now that is super cool, isn't it?

So tonight was a very small piece of ham--halved between Jim and me--plus string beans, tomatoes, and red potatoes, all from the local farmers' market. This is good.

Comments (10)

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

What's for dinner is a great question when it comes to our almost 4yo grandson. He changes his mind about what he likes from day to day. He does like some veggies and mac&cheese these days, so I include those with our "grown up" meals with meat and some of the (mild) spicy foods we like.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    13 years ago

I love love love ham! Haven't had it forever. My favorite is with mac-n-cheese and broccoli. Your meal sounds equally inviting. LF has a girlfriend who eats anything put in front of her, especially the veggies, and I think it is cool. Any 10 year old that eats veggies with relish is my kind of kid! LF, aka Mr. Totally Picky, is just proud that he's learned to eat chicken that isn't covered in breading. He beams that he's learned to eat chicken teriyaki. I eat anything. I cook everything. He eats none of it, and everyone tells him what he's missing out on. Kids, you just gotta love and hug 'em.

• mwoods
    13 years ago

With temps in the 100s yesterday and today whatever it is will be COLD,but I haven't decided yet.

• anneliese_32
    13 years ago

The last two weeks? Whatever the hospital cafeteria has and looks like it might have some taste to it. Mainly the salads sthere.

• Janis_G
    13 years ago

Gardens are starting to produce and I have had my first
    tomato sandwich, fried okra and squash, next will be green beans and fried green tomatoes.

• mawheel
    13 years ago

Our tomato bush is loaded, but none of the tomatoes have ripened, yet. I'm waiting--impatiently--they'll probably all ripen at the same time.

Our supper won't be cold, but leftover taco salad, which is in the fridge from Sunday. Glad I hadn't put it in the freezer! These days, any day I don't have to cook is a blessing.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

It was a cool day today so I took the opportunity to fix a favorite dinner. Steak with mushrooms, green onion and red wine sauce, (Julia Childs's recipe) Home fries with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and candid carrots. It's supposed to heat up later in the week, so I'll go back to hot weather foods. Salad anyone?

• tibs
    13 years ago

DD was not home so I chopped up a Zuke(she hates em), onion, a small spicy sausage, added a can of diced italian flavored tomatos(used up all of my canned from last summer) and served it on rigatoni. Dh really liked it, thank goodness. Also had a tossed salad and the last of a watermelon.I am trying to cut back on the amount of meat he eats.

We have been eating out a lot with moving mom. I need veggies and fruit!

• meldy_nva
    13 years ago

We're eating out of the garden, mostly. Snap peas and regular green peas -- I'm almost tired of them! Don't they realize that weeks and weeks of 90*+ should have finished them off?! Squash and cucumbers are just starting to produce. Kale is still tender (another coldie that is ignoring the thermometer). Potatoes remain from a great sale a couple months ago; one food I never tire of because there are so many *different* ways to prepare them. Green beans are blooming heavily, I think tomorrow will see the first picking. Tomatoes are huge but still green. I tried "Big Mama" this year for the creole sauce... so far they are about 5" long... won't take a lot to cook up a pot of sauce, lol.

At the moment, 7 yo GS is hung up on pizza, preferring pepperoni. He also eats raw or barely steamed vegs especially broccoli, mac 'n cheese, grilled chicken. Sometimes I wonder if he's related to me -- he doesn't care for spicy foods.

• west_gardener
    13 years ago

Another cool day here, spaghetti with mild italian sausage and double cheese sauce. Watermelon for desert. It's heating up tomorrow so it will be half a chicken breast, salad and watermelon.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions