Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

I have been renewed.

west_gardener
9 years ago

My CA drivers license that is.

This is the first time in about 15-20 years that I've taken any type of written test. My license has been renewed automatically for the past years.
I studied the entire handbook on the net. Took practice tests on the net, and when I got to the DMV, it was all about paper. Sigh But I passed both the eye and written test.
Today is my birthday, I'm 74yo, and I think I'm straddling the new and the old well enough to live in both worlds.

Comments (11)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

The missus (mid-60s) has bad vision and she will have to take the test next month. She is postponing and postponing. Not good.

I am able to renew just by showing that I am still breathing.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Why did you have to retake it? I am worried now! I am not sure I'd pass it. I have to teach him in another couple of months. Guess I better go read up!

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rob, I don't know why I had to take written exam again. I have a perfect driving record and the dmv said it was not because of age.
    BTW, dh also had to take the tests when he renewed at age 74.
    It could be that the ca dmv only allows x number of automatic extensions.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Well, now I am really worried! I better get to studying. After I posted that over here, I went to find the handbook to email the boy (what a day and age we live in that it's so handy and can be read on a computer, a tablet, his phone, AMAZING!!!), and it was meant to be read from page 37-90ish. Ugh. I dread re-reading it. Maybe I'll see if there is a practice test online. We were just talking about driving yesterday. I realized, I haven't even been pulled over since 2008 and then, it was a warning (40ish in a 30mph zone at 10PM and an empty street. Was headed back to Nashville from school 25 miles awawy), because I had nothing on my record. I think I do ok, but written? :/

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

:(

I got 11 out of 15 right on the laws. But, my mistakes erred on the side of caution. I said when there are three cars you're slowing down, pull over. It's five. For instance. sigh I'll not have it right to tell him if I don't go study.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rob, just a heads up. Here in CA, new drivers have to take a test with 36 questions and a renewal has 18 questions. I don't know how it is in your state.
    Smart move to start studying now.
    Good luck.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Happy Birthday west_gardener.

While it would come handy sometimes, like yesterday and today with several out of town appointments, I am glad that I don't have to worry anymore. Here we have to drive and parallel park, which I did not like the first time around.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you anneliese, I had a very nice birthday.
    I get it about parallel parking. Luckily, my DH who is a nerd, and believe in numbers, taught me how to drive and parallel park. But I'm not totally comfortable with it.
    I received my new DL in the mail today, and it's good for another 5 years. After that, who knows.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

I think you should have a party and invite us to celebrate with you. I can catch a plane on Sunday afternoon.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

My grandpa just failed his renewal and doesn't have a license anymore. He's 89 and pretty upset about it. He only got a ticket one time, when he was about 22. He passed the written and eye test fine, but nearly tripped when walking to the car (right in front of the instructor, unfortunately), and he's deaf, so couldn't hear her directions. They wanted him to get an evaluation from the doctor to prove that he is competent and a few other things, and that hurt his pride too much. Luckily he has my nephew to drive him all over town. He's extremely independent, and always on the go.

• Janis_G
    9 years ago

Lord luv a duck!!
    Now I have something else to stress about.
    I renew in 2016.
    Here you have to have.
    Two pieces of mail (bills) addressed to you.
    A marriage license.
    A birth certificate.
    Social security card.
    Your drivers license.

Times like this I wish I were wealthy enough to hire a driver.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz
More Discussions