Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Naples, Italy - part 4

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 19:41

The town of Amalfi is a wonderful place. With fewer than 6,000 residents, it has the small town feel that many seek while on vacation. This town is a goal of many on vacation; many years ago it was THE place to be seen by the British.

Now, it is the center of the Amalfi Coast tours. On the Bay of Sorrento, it is closed in my steep mountains. I believe that the entire town has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Sight.

This is a view of part of the town from the waterfront. You can see that one road switching back as it leads up the hill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Naples, Italy - part 4

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 19:44

A bit of a different view from the same spot. This is where all the tour buses park. One has to walk all of three blocks to get into the center of town.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 19:49

The airport in Naples is the closest decent size airport and it is about a one-hour drive. Still, the people will come here. Views of the bay from many hotel rooms.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 19:51

Although it was not rainy much when we were there, I saw these folks working on their art in the sheltered area of the pier.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 19:53

The Cathedral in Amalfi dates from the 13th century. We did not climb those steps, as we were more interested in seeing the rest of the town.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 19:56

St. Andrew is the patron saint of Amalfi, Italy and there are big celebrations on his saint day. This is immediately in front of the cathedral on Piazza Duomo.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 19:59

After viewing St. Andrew, turn around and this is the view of the main shopping area of Amalfi.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:02

Along the Amalfi coast, lemon production is the primary agricultural item. These lemons are much long and heavier than what we are accustomed to seeing.

A souvenir shop with all kinds of lemon-related items.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:04

This pastry shop was only a few doors away from the previous store. Oh, looking soooo good.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:06

And...gelato.

This shop had other goodies, but gelato was the main draw. She also had cute dimples.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:09

And, this shop were we (the missus) managed to spend lots of money. Limoncello is a draw, it is so good. And cappuccino is a favorite at many of the sidewalk/street cafes.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:11

On a hill, many of the shops were on the steps. Living quarters above.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:14

You cannot get lost in Amalfi, Italy.

We would return. Even in November, non-tourist season, it was a great experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here