Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's up with my beans?

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 19:44

I planted 6 beans and 5 germinated. The plants and flowers are doing great but very few pea pods are setting, if that's the correct word for beans. The plants have plenty of water and the blooms have plenty of pollinators.
Here is a pic of the big picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's up with my beans?

Here is a pic of the small pic. The blooms are there, a couple of small pea pods. Most of the stems are almost bare, Anyone know what's going on?

o

They have full sun.

o

I have only planted bush type beans and they are going crazy, even with the drought here. Could it be your soil is played out? They do look pretty, so I may have to try "runners" next year.

o

Thanks for the reply pkramer. It could be the soil, I had not thought about that. I'll amend it and try again next year. Glad your beans are doing great. Enjoy.

I've heard of mixing apples and oranges, but I managed to mix beans and peas.

They are beans, lol.

o

I've been reading up on the Scarlet bean runners on the net. Articles and posts from the UK to FLA, to CA, zones anywhere from 5-10 (my zone) and there seems to be a problem all over with pods not setting and I can't find any clear answers.

For now, I'll say that if you want high yield beans, don't plant the scarlets, go with what you know.

o

Update, when the weather cooled a bit, the beans set. I picked several 4-5" beans, cooked them in slightly salted water, on a medium high boil for 10 minutes. They were delish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here