Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Cartagena, Spain - part 6

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 19:52

We are inside the Cathedral of Murcia, Spain.

This is the main chapel and "is considered a Royal Chapel, for it contains the remains of Alfonso X of Castile", so says a brochure. However, another source indicates that only the heart and entrails of Alfonso are there.

I do not know why the grille work is there, the official church brochure states that it was produced in the late 15th century.

I was standing at the read of the chapel. That is the entire length of the aisle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Cartagena, Spain - part 6

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 19:54

If you notice the previous photo, the grille work has something on top. This is a closer view of the fine craftsmanship. I don’t know why these are there, they must represent something!

o

Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 19:57

With the camera through the grille, this is a closer view of the altar. The interior is Gothic in its style with soaring ceilings. The altar piece dates from 1863, replacing the original renaissance design that had been destroyed by fire.

o

Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 19:59

Opposite the main altar is this area, the organ and choir area. The organ was created in the 19th century by Joseph Merklin. Many of the sources I looked at mentioned the organ, as it is an important entity.

I cannot determine what or who is represented at the bottom of this photo. I could not locate a sign there.

o

Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 20:01

I am not Roman Catholic, but I believe that I understand the reasoning for confession. It seems a bit odd, that one’s confession would be so open as this is set up. The only one with privacy is the priest.

o

Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 20:03

There are 23 side chapels in the Cathedral of Murcia. Many of them are dedicated to the patron saints of the local worker’s unions (remember this was a long time ago and unions were somewhat different then compared to what they represent now). I don’t know which one this is, but you can see some of the detail.

o

Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 20:05

This chapel is the one that all point to as a special place. The Velez chapel or Chapel of the Apse was built as a family mausoleum for the Chacon Fajardo family. I could not get a good shot here because there were thing going on and I did not want to intrude. However, you can see some of the “Flaming Gothic Style” that adorns this area.

Again, time constraints kept us from seeing more, we might have been inside the cathedral for 45 minutes only.

Next on our tour will be the city of Cartagena.

o

From what I have read, grilles sometimes separate the high altar from the rest of the church or in churches which have monastaries attached, they may separate the monks/nuns from the rest of the congregation, especially if it is a closed order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here