Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Palermo, Sicily - part 6

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:32

As we were working our way to our next stop in Palermo, I saw this. A recycling bin for vegetable oil! I was impressed by the number of recycle bins in Spain and Italy. Different colors for each kind of item. Furthermore, they were being used! This was the one and only vegetable oil bin that I saw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Palermo, Sicily - part 6

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:33

When I took this picture, I had no idea why. Or what we were getting into.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:34

This is what we saw when we turned the corner. A market! It was almost overwhelming. This fish monger was the first vendor we came upon. You might notice the items on the wall, in Italian of course.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:35

You want this one? Yes…that is the one I want.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:36

All of the fish vendors were together, as were the red meat vendors and poultry. This man was just waiting for the next customer. My guess is that he has been doing this for many years.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:37

Then there are the produce vendors. I might have mentioned it previously, but with an assortment like this, one need not have a big refrigerator. My guess is that they are open here Monday through Saturday.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:38

This is amazing! Look at the size of these heads. Even with several people in the household, there will be enough for at least two meals.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:40

Time for lunch! Finally! Our guide to us to the small resort town of Mondello. Although it is a part of Palermo, it is far enough away from the city center to seem as though you have gone a far distance. Originally a fishing village, it became a popular resort. We were moving along and I was not able to obtain decent photographs of the Art Nouveau buildings, including a huge bathhouse. I believe that this is Monte Gallo, but that rock in the background reminds people of a dog. Floppy ears and snout to the left. Use your imagination a bit.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:41

We were allowed 45 minutes for lunch. We ate a little café somewhere on this street, most of the patrons were not tourists, then gelato on the way back to the van. One way on this street and the next one over is one way the opposite direction. There was a small permanent amusement park. During the summer months this is the place to be.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 20:46

Is this a better view of the dog? Once the town was 'discovered' the marsh that was here was eliminated and white sand brought in. Most of the beaches are to the right of the Monte Gallo.

Some of these photos look good on my monitor, but not quite so good on this forum. If you want, you can come to my house and look at all 2864 of them!

o

Looks like a great market, would not mind shopping there and most likely would come home with more than I could eat.

o

I agree with anneliese about the market. Their produce is astounding. They must have great soil and weather to grow cauliflower such as those shown.

Mary

o

Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 17:11

Here is another produce stand (different location). The sun was not working with me, but I shot the photo anyway. I don't believe that all were locally grown.

o

Jim, the "dog" looks just fine to me.
Love the markets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here