Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Naples, Italy - part 5

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:40

The next stop on our Amalfi Coast Tour is the town of Positano.

I was aware of this town, since many years ago I had dated an art historian who was in Italy every other year. She bragged about this small town of less than 5,000 people.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Naples, Italy - part 5

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:43

This town, too is on a steep slope. I am not sure whether I would want to live on the hillside like this.

Positano was featured in the the film "Under the Tuscan Sun." (Good book, the movie was only OK.) In the 1950s, John Steinbeck wrote a piece for Harper's Bazaar about the town.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:46

I did not locate a central piazza in Positano (as it was in Ravello and Amalfi), but I did see this sign across from the main church.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:49

Santa Maria Assunta church is in the center of Positano. I was not able to locate much information about this small church other than it the most recent restoration was in the 18th century.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:52

Our two vans of 8 each were the only tourists in the town that I could see. There just was not much happening.

Early afternoon and this cafe, although looking attractive, had no customers.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:55

When I asked our tour guide about the covering above the plants, he told me that was to keep the heat in during the night. Even in the summer, it is not hot at night being right on the coast.

o

Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:59

One last look at Positano as we continue on our Amalfi Coast tour, heading back toward the ship.

o

As you can see, Positano is not an ideal place for a bike tour. We, my brother, 3 of his friends and I found that out in 1952,

o

Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 8:38

I can rationalize getting around in something like this...but a bicycle - no thanks!

This photo was taken in Amalfi.

o

Oh, oh I just love that car! Have to agree on maybe not wanting to live on the hillside, but the placement of their houses is really quite beautiful.

Still enjoying your pictures...........

Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here