Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Messina, Sicily - part 1

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 20:40

November 18 and we arrive in Messina, Sicily. Actually, it is Italy, but it's not the same thing.

Cruise Critic friends from Long Island organized our tours in Sicily. We knew some of the basics, but that was all. This will be another long day as we begin on the pier at 8:15.

However, I was up on deck with my camera taking pictures as we entered the harbor. This is Madonna of the Letter, Messina's patron saint. She is on a column that is 40 meters high and there is a large message (in Italian of course) at the base. I did not get a good picture of that. However, translated, it reads "We bless you and your city." It is not old, having been unveiled in 1934.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Messina, Sicily - part 1

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 20:46

this is the Cape Poloro lighthouse that dates from 1884. The Tyrrhenian Sea is in the background. That sea, although part of the Mediterranean, is the body of water along the east coast of Italy.

o

Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 20:48

This large lighthouse is San Ranieri light and it dates from 1555. The Straits of Messina separate Sicily from the mainland of Italy.

o

Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 20:50

So many ferries in Italy. It is the best way to get from on port to another. Some are small and others are huge. From here one can go to other parts of Sicily, Sardinia or many ports on the mainland of Italy.

o

Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 20:51

I did some research: this ferry carries 65 cars and 500+ passengers. It doesn't look that big, but it is.

o

Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 20:54

An early morning view of Messina, Sicily. Those must be apartments as those are boats at the water line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here