Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Cartagena, Spain - part 2

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

After our bus ride through the countryside, we arrived just before the Sanctuary of Fuensanta was opening for the day. The Baroque fa�ade dates from 1705. This is in a small hamlet that is part of the city of Murcia.

Comments (16)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The name of this sanctuary dates back to the Middle Ages, when hermits drew water from a holy fountain (Fuente Santa). Much of the sanctuary had to renovated in 1936 after the Spanish Civil War. I have discovered that this is not referred to as a church, but only as a sanctuary.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The entire area is operated by the Benedictine Nuns and this is their residence adjacent to the the Sanctuary.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the Casa del Cabildo or Casa del Sacristan which I understand to mean the caretakers of the sanctuary and the monastery.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We arrived inside just as the sexton was turning on the lights. It went from dark to "Oh Wow!"

This is a small place, I don't know how many people it can hold, but the tour guide told us that it is so popular for weddings, the waiting list in 12 months.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This dome painting is by Pedro Flores. It tells a story about the origin of the sanctuary and how the Patroness of Murcia, Fuensanta came to be as revered as she is.

I have several shots of this. One shows a great deal of other parts of the ceiling, but you could not see the actual artistry. This is good.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Throughout the chapel are reliefs by Gonzalez Moreno, a local artist. They all depict scenes from the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe that I read that there are 10 of these reliefs. This is good stuff!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I walked around a bit and noticed that there was a playground (slide, swings, etc.) that was well tended.

This was on the ground there. I took the picture hoping that I could determine what it is. I cannot. If any of you readers know, please respond.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We had only 45 minutes here, an appropriate length of time.

Walking from the back to the front, this view is between the sanctuary and the nun's residence.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Continue walking along that passageway and this is the view you have when you return to the sunlight.

Murcia, Spain in the morning.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A better view of La Huerta, the orchard, in the previous photo. I am not sure what is under the covers, as the grow many fruits near here. Maybe lemons, I believe it is too late in the season for almonds.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There were many cats on site. Many ran when they saw me, others preferred to eat. I think that they are semi-feral. There were close to 15 of them.

Back in the bus and on our way into the city of Murcia.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

It would take me longer than 45 minutes to view all of the sanctuary. What a view when you go out,

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

Just beautiful!

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Exquisite.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had never heard of the city of Murcia. In upcoming posts you will see what a wonderful place it is. Again, we will be visiting a cathedral. I never intended to do so much picture taking, but I got carried away because of their history and the beauty of the sites.

AND...I will have some door photos to share!

Jim

Sponsored
More Discussions