Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Cartagena, Spain - part 2

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 20:43

After our bus ride through the countryside, we arrived just before the Sanctuary of Fuensanta was opening for the day. The Baroque fa�ade dates from 1705. This is in a small hamlet that is part of the city of Murcia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Cartagena, Spain - part 2

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 20:45

The name of this sanctuary dates back to the Middle Ages, when hermits drew water from a holy fountain (Fuente Santa). Much of the sanctuary had to renovated in 1936 after the Spanish Civil War. I have discovered that this is not referred to as a church, but only as a sanctuary.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 20:48

The entire area is operated by the Benedictine Nuns and this is their residence adjacent to the the Sanctuary.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 20:50

This is the Casa del Cabildo or Casa del Sacristan which I understand to mean the caretakers of the sanctuary and the monastery.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 20:54

We arrived inside just as the sexton was turning on the lights. It went from dark to "Oh Wow!"

This is a small place, I don't know how many people it can hold, but the tour guide told us that it is so popular for weddings, the waiting list in 12 months.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 20:57

This dome painting is by Pedro Flores. It tells a story about the origin of the sanctuary and how the Patroness of Murcia, Fuensanta came to be as revered as she is.

I have several shots of this. One shows a great deal of other parts of the ceiling, but you could not see the actual artistry. This is good.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:00

Throughout the chapel are reliefs by Gonzalez Moreno, a local artist. They all depict scenes from the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:02

I believe that I read that there are 10 of these reliefs. This is good stuff!

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:04

I walked around a bit and noticed that there was a playground (slide, swings, etc.) that was well tended.

This was on the ground there. I took the picture hoping that I could determine what it is. I cannot. If any of you readers know, please respond.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:07

We had only 45 minutes here, an appropriate length of time.

Walking from the back to the front, this view is between the sanctuary and the nun's residence.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:09

Continue walking along that passageway and this is the view you have when you return to the sunlight.

Murcia, Spain in the morning.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:13

A better view of La Huerta, the orchard, in the previous photo. I am not sure what is under the covers, as the grow many fruits near here. Maybe lemons, I believe it is too late in the season for almonds.

o

Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 21:16

There were many cats on site. Many ran when they saw me, others preferred to eat. I think that they are semi-feral. There were close to 15 of them.

Back in the bus and on our way into the city of Murcia.

o

It would take me longer than 45 minutes to view all of the sanctuary. What a view when you go out,

o

Just beautiful!

o

Exquisite.

o

Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 11:09

I had never heard of the city of Murcia. In upcoming posts you will see what a wonderful place it is. Again, we will be visiting a cathedral. I never intended to do so much picture taking, but I got carried away because of their history and the beauty of the sites.

AND...I will have some door photos to share!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here