Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Palermo, Sicily - part 7

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Phew! It was a long day in Palermo. Part 7 will show some odds and ends that didn't quite fit into other topics.

We made one stop (I really cannot recall where), some of the Cruise Critic group wanted to take pictures of something in front of the van. I didn't. However, there was a building next to us that intrigued me. This is one of the wood carvings above a door. There were about 6 of them. A non-nondescript building that was available and these wood things caught my eye.

Comments (11)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have zero recollection of being in this church. However, I took the photo, so I am sharing it with you.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A one point, I really cannot recall if it was late in the day or not, we rode up to a promontory point and had some great views. Palermo is on the north side of Sicily, this is looking east.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did some looking on the internet to see what was what. This is Aspra, Sicily from up high.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This view is of the Palermo harbor, a busy place.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still on the hill, a view of Palermo.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really tried to determine what this building is, but just cannot do it. There are many religious retreat-type buildings above the city. Great views I assume. This just looks like a great place to spend some time - doing nothing!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're finally back on Holland America's Maasdam and getting ready to sail away. Of course, I am up on deck taking pictures. Who knows if I will ever return to this city.

The caption I created for this: Palermo Harbor rust bucket!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're underway, heading west. Our itinerary included a stop in Sardinia, however we received notice that we would not stop there. Large storms were working the island and there were mud slides and horrible conditions. Fortunately, we had received notice a few days ago and I emailed our tour company to let them know about the situation. They were grateful, as they were going to have to rent a van large enough for our party.

From Palermo, we went to Monreale, Mondello, the market, the cathedral, the opera house, the views from up high and more. And, we did not have an opportunity to spend anytime in the city doing shopping and such.

As we are leaving Palermo's harbor, I saw these dry docks, as I had seen them from on the hill. On the left side in the background is that building from a couple of photos previous.

Next stop: Cartagena, Spain! I anticipate at least 6 parts as I relate our experiences there.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

Palermo presented you with a lot of rich experience, I enjoyed your tour and all the beautiful photos, thank you

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

It's fun to see new places through your eyes. A travel brochure creates a kind of flat picture, yours, accompanied by your comments, brings places to life.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to my loyal readers and responders. I am working on our next port of Cartagena. I had been to the one in Colombia, so this is different.

You like fresh fish? This is a closer look at that first fish vendor's wares.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs
More Discussions