Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norar_il

Facebook after 40?

norar_il
14 years ago

My daughter invited me to be a "friend" on Facebook which I found required me to join. So I did. For about 2 hours. I felt like a voyeur, reading stuff not sent to me, but to other people.

So what do you think? Are you over 40 and on Facebook? Or really more to the point, over 65?

My kids say it's a great way to stay in contact with people and post pictures of family, etc. Is it really better than plain old email? Is it an age thing that makes me dislike it for me, or just a personal up-tightness? I'm prety sure I'm not going back, but am interested in people's opinions other than my relatives.

Comments (32)

• User
    14 years ago

I joined classmates some time ago to find old friends. I found that to utilize it you need to pay and that the unpaid level was limiting. I paid for one year and made a few connections with people from school, the service and totally new, to me, friends. I just do not like the pay part of it, reference when GW went pay. I will not renew on classmates and let it go to the unpaid level.

Some of the people I had connected with were also on Facebook so I joined. I do not put a lot of information on there as others do but have a better connection on line with family back east. I also do not get as many forwarded emails from relatives but see them having a good ol time on facebook with all the apps and games. Those do not interest me and I like that I can keep track of others. There are alot of people over 40, 50 or 60 on there.

• calliope
    14 years ago

Having your own words and thoughts being made public was once the domain of a choice few, but now it's as close to your grasp as a cable connection and honestly, it has to be heady.

I don't know if the populace feels dehumanised from automated phone menus, self-checkouts at markets, loss of home-town newspapers and banks. But, they seem to be going crazy keeping themselves in a 24/7 communication mode by phones, eamails, facebooks and Twitter. You know what it reminds me of? A colony of ants touching antennae with every other worker they pass.

No, it doesn't bother me as long as how much I chose to participate is my own decision. I honestly feel that humans need some time away from outside influence to form opinions, recharge the batteries of their psyche, and think clearly. You can call it meditation if you want, but it amounts to mental privacy.

One of our g'daughters came to visit for a weekend recently. Her cellphone was checked about every two minutes during her waking hours for text messages. I don't know how she could have possibly gotten much quality time participating in any family function, by giving it 100% of her attention.

I went googling for Twitter just to read about this craze, and several of the articles spoke to employers wanting to know how many contacts their prospective employees have on their social networking pages as part of their resume'. No job should hinge on collecting 'friends' in a social database.

I think I'd be more likely to participate in Facebook, than Twitter, however. What would hold me back is that there are all levels of relationships. I would not want to extend the same familiarity with a social contact I would with a friend, and likely would not extend that level of familiarity to a friend as I would a family member. If I held a friend or family member in esteem, they can take it to the bank I'd be in contact with them directly instead of relegating them to logging on to my 'page'. It tells them I hold them important enough to take the time.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I and many other over-40s and over-65s are on Facebook.

Like most things, you need to learn to use it.

Private messages can be sent to just one person.
    Public comments can be made and also easily deleted.
    People can be accepted or blocked from access to your page.

I like it because it is an easy way for me to keep in touch with family and friends, all on one page.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

I knew people online who played farmtown and I wanted to play, since I love farms..lol. They didn't accept my name. They didn't believe Coconut FireRaven was a real name. Chuckling. They wanted me to send a scan of my drivers license. I don't think I want to join that much.... Besides when I got my new computer last fall I never hooked the scanner up and I just didn't and don't feel like jumping through their hoops so I can play some game. It was bad enough when I had to prove my name to the state of NJ. Smiles. If ever get around to setting up my scanner... who knows. ...

• mwoods
    14 years ago

What a timely thread. Glad you told us Nora that you proabably wouldn't go back..I almost gave you a "friend" request. My relations in Texas have been asking me forever to join so I finally did and it's amazing how many of my high school classmates have found me and also how many here from the GP are on Facebook,plus people I've been emailing for years. Since you can also email privately through Facebook,choose who and who you don't want to appear on your homepage posts,it's a nice central place to keep in touch with a lot of people on any kind of level you choose. Since I started chemo,there are a few days every few weeks when I feel like dirt and moving around isn't easy. Facebook has been a nice diversion because for me it's new and it's fun learning all the ins and outs.

• krista_marie
    14 years ago

When I signed up in 2007, I couldn't find too many friends from junior or high school, but this last year, it seems like everyone is coming out of the woodwork. A couple Fridays ago, I had lunch with a girl from my 10th grade Spanish class who graduated a year ahead of me. We always had great conversations and being a transplant, I didn't have too many close friends since high school was cliquish. We sent messages back and forth starting last fall and when I drove to her house, I thought "wow, I haven't seen or spoken to this girl in 22 years and I am going to her house" We had a blast-7 hours of great conversation! I think we both needed it. It was as if time had stood still (except she now has 5 kids and I have one and we both have lots of experience from Adversity University). Another friend of mine asked me if it was awkward, it wasn't, but it was surreal. As Martha Stewart says, "It's a good thing."

• mawheel
    14 years ago

How about over 75 -- + 2? I joined Facebook at the urging of my younger sister, found I didn't like the *publicity* factor, so deactivated my account. When I told my sister, she said "I'll show you how to set up the account so that only people you want can see it". So, I re-activated it; so far, so good, but when I went to her page and saw my name featured as a "new" friend of hers, I felt uncomfortable. While I'm not shy and retiring, I just didn't feel comfortable about it--so deactivated, again! Notice I didn't delete it completely, for my granddaughters, sisters, minister of my church and everybody else, it seems, have pages and I may decide to try it again. I agree that it's fun to connect with old friends and folks you may not usually hear from, but it didn't work for me.

Coco, the farm game interested me, too, but I didn't stay long enough to play. I'm intrigued by the hours my sister and nieces spend tending their animals, harvesting their crops, etc. -- even to the point of working on others' farms.

• lilod
    14 years ago

Daughter Linda, Sister Cristina, Grandsons and Great-Grandaughter dragged me into Facebook - I wasn't sure I'd like it, it seemed superficial to me.
    But I did find some my sister Carola's dysfunctional kids and grand-kids (Carola is in a Nursing home after a series of strokes) and I connected with several of old GP friends on another level and in another environment.
    Don't play the games, sometimes do some of the silly quizzes, not to be taken seriously by any one.
    I do like the fact that I see people's pictures, know more about family activities, as I live quite far from most.
    I don't lay everything out for all to see, and some conversations with friends and relatives are always going to be private.
    Now Twitter would not appeal to me at all. Can't do it anyway, have no cellphone, don't plan on having one - no reliable signal here.
    Visitors who are so cell-phone dependent and need to check every five minutes have serious withdrawal symptons when visiting here LOL

• mwoods
    14 years ago

There are a lot less people "seeing" those who are on Facebook,than here at the GP. From what I can tell,everyone I know who has Facebook,has it set so that just their friends can read posts. You don't have that option here.I would be a lot more comfortable sharing info about myself there because I know who will be reading it. Here at the GP,Lord knows who's lurking out there.

• sheila
    14 years ago

I'm on facebook and after resisting the idea at first I've come to really enjoy it. I enjoy seeing some of my old GP friends visiting my page and becoming friends...complete with pictures. And the interaction is casual yet somehow gives me more insight into them.

I have actually made a new friend who was suggested as a"friend." Through our interaction I was able to help her with her Masters in Fine Arts!

I have myfarm - much more fun than the other farm thingy and I enjoy that too.

Dip your toe in gently.

• sheila
    14 years ago

My youngest friend on fb is 14 and I'm not sure who my oldest is, but it might be someone from the GP:) And there's everything in between from a nun to writers to book store managers to a movie director and an Imagineer at Disney.

• Pooh Bear
    14 years ago

I have lots of friends on FaceBook that are over 40.
    I have found a lot of people I went to school with.
    And I love playing Farm Town and FarmVille.
    I joined Face Book last year to look at someone's pictures.
    I didn't realize there was so much other fun stuff to do too.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: My FaceBook page (hopefully)

• mawheel
    14 years ago

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

Marda, your statement that there are a lot fewer people "seeing" what is posted on Facebook than on the GP made me think. I realize you're right!

• calliope
    14 years ago

I used to tell people that when the GP was in its early days and folks were feeling out the waters. You would have gasped at how some of them let it all hang out. Things were a lot more easily traced back then too if you knew anything at all about computers. Even your personal email addresses and your name were commonly seen.

I know basically how facebook works and you do have to request to be included on someone's site, and it is limited to whomever the account holder wishes to include. Most of my friends and relatives use it. What it all boils down to is the typical issue. The amount of discretion with which you use it. The premise of it doesn't bother me at all.

• jazmynsmom
    14 years ago

I'm 39 and on Facebook. Does that count?

One of the things I love about it is it has given me a direct conduit to communicate with my cousins, who, like me, are scattered to the four winds. In the past, I've had to rely on them telling things to their parents, their parents telling mine, and mine remembering to tell me. Now I'm seeing pictures of my cousin's new home being built, and I got to touch base with several of my cousins who were going home this past week for Grandma's 80th and make plans with them before the fact.

I've also reconnected with a ton of college friends, some HS friends, and some friends in many of the cities I've lived in. I don't accept every friend request I get, and I've been turned off enough by some friends that I've hidden their posts from my feed. (Who the heck wants to read political rants by the tenuously informed?)

I "hide" every quiz and game I come across, and am very particular about my privacy settings. I find I speak very differently on Facebook than I do here. Fewer words, and a little more reserved, but more pictures. I confess I go to Facebook before I come here, and it probably has something to do with why I'm here less...

• majictiger3
    14 years ago

This message is for Coconut-nj who posted on this thread....Please email me at "majictiger3@myinfodog.com" I am your cousin Russell....and have been trying to find you for a very long time now.. Your Aunt Ginnie and I spent the afternoon together after not seeing each other for almost 40 years!! and she was able to give me some info on you so that I could find you! I remembered your name "Coconut" but could not figure out the "Ravenfire"....Your Mom told your other name years ago when I use to visit with her....If you read this, and I pray that you do....please email me! I would love it so much to reconnect after all these years....we were just children the last time we saw each other! God bless, your cousin Russell....

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook profile

• norar_il
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! So who needs facebook to connect? Coconut being found by a cousin after a number of years. That's great. I hope so, at least.

I do thank everyone for their responses. On some levels, it sounds great. On others, I think I'll still stick to emails. After all, there are only so many hours in a day and so many books left to read.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

No kidding Nora. LOL.. Whodathunk Russell would find me here on the Party? That's pretty radical. And yes, it's a very good thing indeed. I tried to reconnect with him quite a few years ago and didn't succeed. Cool. Goin to email my Cuz.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

I might just have to go ahead and hook that scanner up and join. Just clicking on Russells facebook and refreshing it a few times I saw several more cousins including one of my close cousins who I haven't talked to in a couple years. Good timing because his birthday is the day before mine and I used to always catch up to him then. Now I will again. Clicked on Auggies page and found about 4 more cousins.. LOL.. funny.

• Lisa_H OK
    14 years ago

I'm on FB, and so is my DAD who is 79. I was floored when I got his "friend" request!

I love FB. It's a great way to share pictures, much better than a blog. I too have connected with people I haven't seen since high school, but even better, I love connecting with friends that live a couple states away. It feels like they are still here being able to talk and chat everyday if we want to.

I do FarmTown and MyFarm. I actually prefer MyFarm, but currently am working on the FarmTown. But what I really, really love is playing Bejeweled, Farkle, Pathwords and Scrabble. I made friends with a lady from the Rose Forum and we play different games off and on. On the opposite side, I had a couple people from HS who kept asking to be my friend. I couldn't remember them for the life of me! I finally pushed the "permanent ignore" button on one of them!

I try not to do quizzes... :)

The privacy thing is how you set it. I know a young lady on FB who is active, but I cannot find any trace of her because she has her privacy settings set so tight, I can't even see her comments to other mutual friends (we are not FB friends :) ...I know her parents!)

Lisa

• sheila
    14 years ago

Oh, Lisa...I'm hooked on Blitz: I Farkle a little but I find it too maddening. I play a hand of poker once in a while but I hate to lose money, even virtual money LOL.

I have a young friend on my facebook - but I her parents aren't among my fb friends... My rather strait laced niece is on my fb and is very quiet, I think she might be wondering what her old aunty is up to:)

• majictiger3
    14 years ago

Coconut!!! You did read my post! If you cannot get thru on my email I have this stupid scam protection that blocks emails sometimes....You can write me at my other address" northstar_tibetanterrers@yahoo.com I cannot wait to hear from you! This is way too cool!!! God bless, Rus...

• Pooh Bear
    14 years ago

Lisa, if you add me as a friend on FB,
    then we can be neighbors in Farm Town.
    Anyone else it welcome to do the same.

Pooh Bear

Here is a link that might be useful: David Swanson Chattanooga Network Dunlap TN

• majictiger3
    14 years ago

Hey Coconut...I can't win for trying....I typed the incorrect email address when I gave you the new one...lol
    the correct address is: northstar_tibetanterriers@yahoo.com

I left the "i" out of "terriers" the first time...lol!
    anyway, if you read this I would love to hear from you! I guess for some reason the older I have become I have come to realize just how important family and friends are...Rus

• meldy_nva
    14 years ago

I'm odd man out on this topic. Facebook, like any (and imo all) computer sites is public... maybe not by choice but definitely by hacker. Yes, GW was very open when it first came online; and in the years since we have learned discretion, or at least learned that others are not so discreet. Some of us have been the recipients of flaming and other harassments, and some of us have lost our identity to computer-literate thieves; and the victims have learned the downside of internet touching.

My other point may not apply to others, but I worked closely with *many* educators and staff. A side-result has been frequent notices that I am listed as being a "friend" on Facebook, sometimes by people I had never met beyond a work-related phone call. Not one person contacted me to see if it was okay to toss my name into the public domain... [it isn't okay, my true friends know that I place a high value on privacy].

If you are looking for someone, and know enough to spell the name correctly, just google. We are all here somewhere.

• calliope
    14 years ago

My thoughts exactly. I know some young people are hesitant when contacted by people they do not want to add as 'friends' and feel almost obliged to add them. And having your name on a friend list is very like people who don't know how to 'hide' your name on email lists. I just got an email a couple days ago by someone who saw my name on one of those with my email route evident. In this case I really didn't mind. In fact I was glad to get back in email contact with her. But, it could have been very much a different story.

It is again, whatever the user is comfortable with and with what discretion they wish to use a service. It may suit your needs, but not my cuppa tea. What bothers me about it, is that your contacts ..........who and how many.......are any business of a prospective employer? I think a lot of computer users feel protected by anonymity of the number of posts on the web. IOW so much data floating around in cyberspace, who would take the time to search for or find you? The odds being so slim. Sort of like what are the odds someone would find your credit card number in real life and pick on you to steal it? Well, don't we all know somebody who lost using that system?

• instar8
    14 years ago

I recently walked into work, (for those that don't know me, i'm a homecare nurse) and the conservative Mennonite mom of 7 was pecking away at her computer...she paused and asked, "Are you on Facebook?"

It was then that i realized what a hermit i really am these days...i'm just downwind of 50, and this is as close as i get to internet socializing!

• tisha_
    14 years ago

Well, I'm not quite over 40 just yet (I'm 32) but I just broke down a few months ago, and joined Facebook. I hated it at first, but I'm enjoying it a lot more now. It really is a great place to keep in contact w/ people.

• meldy_nva
    14 years ago

So, a question for tisha, etc.

What is it about Facebook that makes you feel more in contact with whoevers, than you would be in sending an e-mail? If it's the all-at-once entry [not having to enter each recipient's address], well, e-mail has the ability for group addressing -- and isn't quite as open to the general public for viewing.

And for those who may never have considered it: a not-too-recent newspaper article polled several hundred companies and found that yes, all checked Facebook and similar sites for info on the prospective employee.

While most those here at GP are adults, keep in mind the personal info openly offered by many of those less mature --- and I'm thinking of one person who posted pics of self drinking captioned with averrals of being a non-stop party girl. This info [along with the e-site] was printed in the local paper, after the not-sober party-girl was involved in a deadly accident. Even if she hadn't been so involved, was that really something to which total strangers should have access?

We have a tendency to forget that once something is on-line, it's ALWAYS on-line somewhere.

• tisha_
    14 years ago

Meldy, I honestly think the answer to the first question is that it's just more fun and personal somehow, than e-mail. I think it's also fun to read the status of people, just to see what they are up to. And, on Facebook, I communicate with a lot more people than I would through e-mail. It's more informal. BTW, no, I never thought I'd be refering to e-mail as more formal than something else! LOL

And, on facebook, you have the ability to lockdown what people see. You have several options. Mine is locked so that only people I have approved as friends can see my information.

Here's a screen shot to show you the options you have:

{{gwi:174677}}

As you can see, I have everything set to "Friends Only" except for the option of who can see my friends. And only friends of friends can see that. It's locked down pretty tight.

• Pooh Bear
    14 years ago

I don't post anything to Face Book that I wouldn't post here.
    I'm on there mostly for the farming games. I love those.
    I did find a bunch of people I went to high school with.

Being on Face Book doesn't mean you have to post your whole life online.
    You post what you feel confortable posting, same as here.

Pooh Bear

• norar_il
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My daughter put videos of the grandson on her Facebook and I have to reactivate my account in order to see them. So reactivate I shall.

Besides she showed me the farm thingie and it looks like a lot of fun.

Sponsored
More Discussions