Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about Facebook

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 20:55

A relative has a "friend" that's nice enough, so he doesn't want to hurt her feelings. And No, there's nothing romantic there...it's another relative.In fact, until this started, he didn't know anything about her.

BUT... she sends him tons and tons of stuff about her church, the Bible, religion, etc. His Facebook account is just toooooo full of this. He's fed up with getting it.

So, he wants to know if there's a way to block her stuff without her knowing about it. I told him that I didn't think so, that he should be honest, blah,blah, blah.

Does anyone have an idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about Facebook

To the right of her post is a little x - click on that and a menu pops up, one of the options is "unsubscribe", click that and you don't get anything from her, but she's still on the friend's list, no hard feelings.

o
RE: question about Facebook***and

One still can keep in touch, the person may comment on some of your pictures and such, so it's not a total cut-off.

o
re: thanks

I shall pass this info along. I can understand his frustration about this. You don't really want to be rude, but there sometimes you just really reach a limit!!

LOL

o

I have some dear family member on the unsubscribe - it's not nice to just "unfriend" them. This way they are commenting on some of my posts and I know their activities, but I don't get the "editorials" works fine

o

I passed the info along. He was VERY happy to get it.

So, you can count this as your good deed for today.

Thanks again!

o

I think it's even more detailed than that. You can select for each person what kind of update you are shown. Then you can go to your preferences and choose not to see people's stories about games they played and/or block aps that you don't use that keep showing up with news stories. Tell him to poke around in the preferences/settings as well as "editing" that particular person.

Unfortunately, there's no way to block some of the stuff, like "I'm going to bed now." And "I just ate some toast that didn't agree with me." Ugh! I hate these kinds of posts.

o

I've had to unsubscribe from several people who apparently have nothing to do but find stuff to post to Facebook. I hate it when there are 10 or 15 posts per hour from them, and have unsubscribed from all of them. I still have them as friends, and look at their pages when I want to see what they are posting.

o

Yes, exactly! It does give you the tools to waste as little time on that stuff as possible. Some of these people have never heard of the little boy who cried wolf (as far as getting people's attention) and seem to mistake it for a diary. I think of it and use it more as a scrapbook of high-lights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here