Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Palermo, Sicily - part 5

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:37

Palermo Cathedral. A view of the main altar along the length of the nave.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Palermo, Sicily - part 5

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:39

A closer view of the main altar. You cannot see it, but there is a good painting on the ceiling above the altar. One has to work with the light at hand �" no flash photography.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:40

This is the Sacrament Chapel. It has gilded stucco and much lapis lazuli. It was designed in 1653.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:42

A view of the nave from one of the side altars. I noted with interest that the pews were rarely fixed to the floor in most of the churches we entered. However, there were signs admonishing visitors to not move the chairs or pews.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:44

This is the chapel of the patron of Palermo, Saint Rosalia. This was created in 1635 by metalsmiths from all over Palermo. It is amazing!

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:45

The altar of the Immaculate Conception, completed in the 17th century. There are many small chapels, I photographed only the ones that were super-impressive to me. Also within the cathedral are many crypts of church and lay people, many valuable relics and more.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:46

One of the many reliefs. I am not sure what this depicts.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:48

Here is part of one of the most interesting things at Palermo Cathedral. Traversing the floor in a perfect north/south orientation is a Heliometer (solar observatory). Each day at solar noon, a hole in one of the domes will allow sunlight to enter and shine on this long line. It has all the zodiac signs so that each will be highlighted at the correct time/date throughout the year. Created in 1690, it allows the people of the church to know when the solstice is and when the equinox occurs. The latter is important as it establishes the date of Easter (first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox). I took lots of pictures of this unique thing; however most did not turn out good enough to share.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:51

This denotes dates. I believe it is in Latin and I did not do well with my two years in high school. I believe it is a timeline of the Palermo Cathedral using names that I do not recognize. The church does have a Web site that provides information about the history of the church. It also shows all the chapels and some of the crypts and more.

We did not visit the Palermo Cathedral long enough to see it all. It had been a busy day already and we still had not eaten our mid-day meal and we had three more stops before we returned to the ship.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here