Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylvana_grows

Garden critters con't

sylvana_grows
15 years ago

"I did not notice the tracks until I went back and checked. There seem to be prints in the soil. I do not know if they are related. They do not look like paw prints. There are no toes, just lots of shallow dots.

There was no change in the soil. However, I have noticed that a swath of land bordering my garden is unusually green. I do not see how this could be related.

The marks in the foliage are long and straight like cat scratches. Do cats like to use their claws on plants? Most of the damage seems to be on the leafy plants such as my lettuce.

Thank you for your expertise,

Tater Totco"

Our cats usually seem to chew and claw when they attack a plant and it is very obvious. Small prints seem to hint to birds possibly? You might try sticky traps (flat, sticky thing that will stick to your garden thief!)

~Sylvana

Comments (9)

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Please don't use sticky traps, they're the cruelest things I can think of.

I've seen mice stuck to them, screaming in agony & terror, bleeding, the pads from their feet & pieces of skin & fur from large areas of the body ripped off & stuck to the sticky material.

• lindajewell
    15 years ago

I have a running battle with critters in the gardens, but no way would I use sticky traps..........if ya have to do it then make it as painless as possible.....

• davidtater
    15 years ago

Hello Sylvana,

I am so confused. The conversation keeps moving. My niece helped me setup a journal to record my findings. We have some photographs that I will soon share. Please let me know what you think. This is my first hypertext link, I do not know if it will work as intended.

http://tatertotco.wordpress.com/

Thank you so much for helping me. I have dealt with many critters and have never seen things like this. A watermellon went missing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tater Totco's Research Journal

• sylvana_grows
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Honestly, I agree. I don't like having conversations cut short by these forums closing! I'll check out your jounal and we'll catch your critter!

~Sylvana

• calliope
    15 years ago

I feel like I'm ease-dropping on a party line. Are we having link problems with posts? Several posts lately seem to have originated on a different forum and ended up here at a garden party. LOL.

• sylvana_grows
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry to barge in on this forum. We have been having discussions on other threads, but they seem to only allow a few comments, then the thread is capped/closed to further comments! We thought we'd try this part of the site for a bit. Now we've transferred the conversation HERE so as not to bother others on these threads.

Here is a link that might be useful: Continue conversation here!

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

How interesting! Somebody decides y'all were too chatty in OtherForum, and just upped and posted your comments over here? !!

Well, we're friendly folks. Mostly. Anyhow, I hope you noticed we waited for a while before butting in. Although I admit my cats never shredded plants. De-petaled the roses, flattened the mint, and dug up the catnip, yes. But no shredding.

Do come back for a visit, by then maybe we'll find some chocolate to share. It's always good to have another guest, because they so often become friends.

• davidtater
    15 years ago

Sylvana is a wonderful guest to have. She has been amazingly helpful for me on my project. She has helped me to spread the word that these Mushrooms I have on my property are very real and very dangerous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Research Reports

• dancinqueene
    15 years ago

Critters have carried out my hosta--the whole plant. Now, they have chewed off the only stem on a 4 inch perennial I just purchased, and when cleaning that up, I find 2 scapes from daylilies..........so, this is indicating a long winter and they are making heavier duty nests and filling up those jaws. Yes, I even have a pine cone just for them with nuts and peanut butter to keep out of the way. It seems they go back and forth from the neighbors and I get the empty peanut circus shells--we have more critters and different species and colors--more than I have in flowers, lol!

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area
More Discussions